***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@WayOutWestMom

Is the study prep for MCAT the same way: Spending lot of money to purchase multiple coaching materials to get the advantage or best score? Are there any recommended resources like Kaplan and others which work better for MCAT?

I know lot of study time is needed but didn’t think lot of students go for prep courses (in comparison to MCAT). I know most buy some review material and Uworld question banks.

It comes to each student. Some go for live classes and others buy multiple prep materials and practice tests but some need less content review and practice.

RE: entrance exams for specialties.

EM does something like this already. An application for EM residency requires a minimum of 2 SLOEs (Specialty Letter of Evaluation), only one of which can be from the applicant’s home program. The other must be from an away rotation at hospital not affiliated with student’s home program. The SLOE is standardized multiple page long form that evaluates the student’s competency in areas such as basic medical knowledge, how well they’re able to perform certain medical procedures, patient interaction skills, critical thinking within the context of diagnosis, clinical judgment, and personal qualities (Like intellectual curiosity, and the ability to get along with other staff members, including support staff.) This means every applicant has at least 2 standardized evaluations of their performance in the ER. Additionally EM requires all applicants to take a video-based situational judgment test to where the student view actors in scenario ( ex. belligerent/highly aggressive, very loud & intimidating patient arrives in the ER, could be drunk, could be in a diabetic crisis, could be both, or something different altogether) and the student is given a limited amount of time to respond verbally on how they would handle the situation. The video cannot be paused to allow time to think before responding. The video exam scored using a standardized scale and this score is attached to a student’s application as is the video itself.

For EM SLOE>STEP 1 score

If EM can do this, I can definitely see other specialties developing a specialty-specific evaluation format that PDs will use to evaluate candidates.

bingo

Bingo, PDs have to come out from convenience zone and do meaningful evaluation for sake of medicine.

Thank you. this will really help if others follow the suite. Its not only objective, but it will allow students to pursue the extra mile for what they really enjoy

@srk2017 wrote:

I want to hear from senior members whose kids are in BSMD programs. Do they have to work hard in medical school without strong ECs in UG to build up on?

i disagree with you saying BSMD students will not have strong ECs in UG. My D has joined NJIT this year and she already got research with renowned liver transplant/Hepatology/GI prof at NJMS
 plus she is already doing volunteering with inner city school kids
 other BSMD kids also got research at NJMS in Neurology, etc
 Being in BSMD program helps the kids to get research in the associated medical school and they are doing things without any pressure
 i am sure with 4 to 5 years of research exp in relevant field in medical school, BSMD kids will be competitive for residency like any other programs

[quote=“brainbuilder02, post:3402, topic:2054445”]

congratulations @starplatinum @Vitawat345 @bsmdmom

Thank you @brainbuilder02 . Congratulations you as well. Good look.

Thank you @NoviceDad . Really appreciate all your advise.

They are on Hofstra bsmd website as well.
March 2,4,6,9

thanks @brainbuilder02 ! maybe we’ll see each other at one of the dates :slight_smile:

Students use multiple resources for MCAT prep too. Apart from Content Review materials from one of the content provider e.g Kaplan, The Princeton Review, Next Step etc, one needs a complete package from AAMC(Practice tests, Question Pack and Section Bank) at a minimum. UWorld also provides a 3 months access for $199.00 to their 1900 practice questions( to be done near MCAT Exam date). Live prep courses from likes of Kaplan cost a couple of thousand dollars.

MCAT Prep, lately hearing that Anki deck is popular among current students.

Folks

RE: money spend on tests

Just because Step 1 becomes pass/fail does NOT mean students will not spend money on prep books or courses.
The curriculum being tested on Step 1 has NOT changed.

Re: Specialty exams

My concern if the critieria for selection are not specified with objective metrics, how do students ascertain their chances of making to a specialty.
Currently Step 1 and Step 2 scores provided that objective benchmark.

Also, if one got a “poor” score in Step 1, one could potentially make up in Step 2.
Now, post this change, if your Step 2 score is “poor”, you are royally sc%#@#d. There is potentially no other objective metric for redemption!

So, let’s say you prepare to be an EM, your Step 2 score is messed up, your LORs may be fine, chances are Step 2 bad score will weigh against you. Now what you do? Your away rotations are in EM - how do you apply for other specialty?

@srk2017

BS/MD folks also do research, volunteering, shadowing and in some cases work to build up their ECs.
In some cases, students take advantage of early undergrad completion to do additional activities in the specialty of their choice to boost their chances.

@ppofbng

At this point, we do NOT know how it will play out.

I believe home residency programs will take more from their medical schools.
We already see that, for example, at Hofstra, where 1/3rd of their graduates match to Northwell. That ratio may increase post this change - atleast they have comfort in knowing the students they taught.

We can only do scenario analyses and see how we adapt to this change.
But do NOT know how all this will play out.

I seriously doubt BSMD students spent lot of time on ECs (research or volunteering) given the accelerated nature of the programs and no real incentive to do them (human nature). As per our senior colleague here UG period (in BSMD) is to relax, do fun courses before getting into medical school grind.

How much time does your D spends on research and volunteering @NoviceDad?

I am not saying all of them won’t do but I do majority do less compared to traditional. You don’t need to be in a BSMD program to get research opportunities at any school. so if they are doing all the things at the same level as traditional candidates what’s the benefit of going for BSMD? so pressure is mainly going thru another application cycle?

@srk2017

My D spent the entire summer doing research.
She is thinking of doing research while her quarter in on, something @PPofEngrDr 's son has done last year.
she is currently doing non-medical volunteering; peer tutoring and has reached out to Docs for shadow work.

@NoviceDad - Is she junior or Sophomore?