***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@SRK wrote
I am not saying all of them won’t do but I do majority do less compared to traditional. You don’t need to be in a BSMD program to get research opportunities at any school. so if they are doing all the things at the same level as traditional candidates what’s the benefit of going for BSMD? so pressure is mainly going thru another application cycle?

• i assume most of the BSMD kids doesnt let their steam out even if they dont have to go through another application cycle..
  • Some Prof would prefer BSMD over traditional kids since they are going to be associated with the project much longer than the traditional
  • BSMD kids could concentrate on ECs better in the last 2 years since they dont have to go through the application process.
  • There is a small bee line outside prof room asking for research in a lesser known UG
  • BSMD students need to be cautious not to use all credits from high school in TCNJ/NJIT kind of schools.. otherwise, they will end up finishing the degree in 2 to 2 1/2 years... Many in TCNJ finishes in 2 years and do full time research in Ivy league schools for the 3rd year.

At the end, it boils down to how students make use of the available opportunities. whether they are BSMD or traditional…

I disagree with your first two points :smile: It’s human nature to relax if there is no pressure. Also, very few students do same research from UG to Medical school. So staying 7 years at one school doesn’t help with research in general.

TCNJ is an unique situation, I don’t think any other school allows that many credits and some of the students are using that time wisely.

For traditional path there is no choice you need to work hard on all ECs and grades but BSMDs can relax some what. That’s the whole reason for blowing 500K-700K on BSMD and bash USNWR rankings :wink:

Does anyone know if Hofstra sends invites in batches? Does Hofstra notify applicants if they have been rejected from the program? Thanks

Good luck to all Hofstra interview invitees! Others waiting for the word, be patient hang in there.

Great going by your D @Mahikesh! That is the advantage of studying close to the med school, not withstanding how non fancy the place or campus may or not look like. And bonding with med school faculty and doctors early on. And if they want to explore something very unique, NYC is a train or two rides away, opening up exposure to opportunities at Cornell, Columbia and NYU med facilities.
The one disadvantage I saw with Penn State/Jeff, in otherwise a great program. But who knows may be they have other avenues there too.

I believe except Princeton, all T20 UG schools have associated medical schools and Lot of UG faculty also teach medical school basic sciences classes. So you don’t need to be in a BSMD program to bond with medical school faculty!

^^Absolutely true!

D2 attended a T30 undergrad. She did research with med school faculty member (even though she wasn’t a pre-med at the time) and several of her profs also taught med school basic science classes.

It depends on the student and how willing they are to seek out opportunities.

NJMS Interview 3/17. Did anyone had interview with them. Please let me know if anything if had interview.

Thank you sir! Any advice regarding Hofstra

@srk2017
Sophomore

Didnt get Rutgers Honors College but got Honors Program. I am baffled at selection criteria

@bsmdparent1234

Re: Hofstra
No - interview invites sent out at one time.
Invitees get to pick one of 4 interview days.
Expect an average of 15 students per interview day.

I do not think they send out rejections at this time.

Pre-med or other majors:

College is always what the student makes out of it.

Colleges like NU provide resources to pre-med so that they can reach out to professors for research or other activities.

It’s up-to the student to do utilize it.

How Step 1 P/F will impact BS MD program student without MCAT score which is not a requirement for the program in comparison to the traditional path student coming in to same Med school with high MCAT scores ? NU Upitt etc

Ex Avg MCAT for NU traditional student is 519

@srk2017 @Mahikesh

It is a misconception that BS/MD students take it easy.

In my limited past student group, everyone is doing ECs and many are already thinking of medical specialty and targeting activities in that space.

Congratulations @ubsmd2020 @brainbuilder02

Thank you !

You just missed out living in Honors College exclusive dorm at NB for the first year.

So happy to say that I just received an email from TCNJ for a video interview for the 7 Year Program. They only gave me a one day notice though, so I have to interview tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips or information? I applied as an economics major and I am a girl.

I personally don’t know much about the interview and selection process there itself but trust Hofstra is a good program with great match results. My suggestion is to check out the results thread for last couple of years and reach out to helpful folks from the past like @GreenPoison who I think got selected there. Private message and hopefully they will respond soon.