***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

My C seems to think that doing mock interviews with questions that people reported on SDN as from their own interviews is over the top. C has met UG students from the programs he’s applying and said that those students said the interviewers mainly want to get to know them in positive light and not try to trip them with tough questions that med school applicants are typically asked during their interviews. Is it true that BSMD applicants are treated accordingly (at least 4 years younger than the typical med school applicants)?

Yes, it’s almost impossible to find out how well BSMD students match compared to traditional path students from same program. However we constantly hear about great matching results from advocates of these programs :smile:

Based on limited experience I had with interviews, BSMD interviews are very casual and faculty know that they are dealing with 17 or 18 yr old with limited life experiences. They basically wants to see if they are mature enough or not and capable of making decent conversations. I believe interview carries less weight.

I am not known for subtlety :smile: However as a parent I can’t be harsh to stressed out kids in this thread.

@mi2019

Med schools share different data for residency matches - some share the student name and where they matched while some just share the specialty and numbers matched and some share the residency program, specialty and numbers matched.

There is no disclosure which route a student came to the med school - BS/MD or direct from undergrad or after x number of gap years.

A study done a few years ago re: Penn/Jeff’s 6-year program found that graduates from such program performed similarly to graduate from traditional 8-year programs.
(I had shared the link to the same in one of my earlier posts).

@bsmdparent1234 and @ bsmd mom

You are welcome.

Re: Hofstra Interviews

Folks need to calm down. Interviews are atleast 2 weeks away.
Interviews are one on one and conversational. You will have 2 interviews.

Re: Hofstra Location/ safety
Not being from NY, I did not feel it is located in a bad area when I visited Hofstra. But it is one snapshot. But since it is in a big city, it is always better to be smart about your surroundings.
Please note area surrounding many universities e.g. UChicago or UPenn or Temple or NJMS are not what we call safe-suburban areas.

It is best to ask questions about safety to the school administrators and to the students when you meet them at lunch.

Re: Car
Car will be needed during your medical school phase - Northwell hospitals are all over Long Island / NY city.

@junebug20

Please be aware that some SOMs conduct different kinds of interviews at BS/MD level vs regular med interview level.

Please also note while interviews may be conversational they are not casual and anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4th of the students who interview are declined admission.

There is not difference in residency match. However medical colleges some time worry that their average MCAT score of the incoming class is skewed because of number of the their M1 guaranteed program students do not report that score. This is one of the reasons why the intake into T20 programs have been relatively low.

I don’t think there is any comprehensive study done on this so we can’t claim there is no difference. One thing to remember is lot of good schools cancelled their BSMD programs. The only reason they gave is administrative overhead which is suspicious. Except Brown, rest of top programs take less than 20 per year.

Yes agree some good programs like WASHU and Rice Baylor have few seats and , then over that for ORM May be half of that probably 3 or 4. Who knows may be some instate preference out of 3 those or 4 seats for ORM‘’s.

Selection outcomes should be aligned with stats.

I sent you a PM; and happy to guide your sibling. Like one of the senior members earlier stated, we are all in the same race and asking for essays did not seem right to me. I realize that it was a typo and happy to let this be water under the bridge. All the best to you and your sibling.

@NoviceDad

If I remember correctly the said report inferred the students from their 6/7 year program did better than their traditional route students. Anyway will try to go back and re read during the weekend.

@srk2017 Sir, 100% agree with your sentiments and thoughts expressed here. the intent was not to shame, but to genuinely question someone’s intention since it was essays that were asked for and not guidance Perhaps being Gen Z, the direct communication with authenticity and assertiveness.

Anyways, its water under the bridge now and I am happy to help out this person’s sibling with guidance if needed.

Is this the article: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1418264-the-jefferson-penn-state-bs-md-program-a-26-year-experience/

This is nothing to do with you being Gen Z :smile: My only issue is you could have responded privately to a private a message. Anyway, I appreciate your follow-up messages.

The biggest issue with this study is it’s from 1992 and lot changed since then. One of the biggest change is average matriculation age for medical schools. with more and more students taking gap years to either to strengthen their ECs or gain life experiences by choice ( I know two T20 medical students who deferred their admissions to get work experience) . Penn switched from 6 years to 7 years I believe due to MCAT changes.

Here ar the stats for matriculation age for 2017-2018(for men)
1st 21
5th 22
25th 22
50th 24
75th 25
95th 33
99th 38

Going by this it appears 7 year program students are less than 1%.

Again I am not against BSMD programs but carefully assess advantages and disadvantages before making the decision and don’t mortgage the farm by listening to constant drumbeat of failure stories. There are so many mid tier UGs that give scholarships to kids with great stats and most instate medical schools are cheaper than BSMD programs.

Also, finding a life partner in medical school could be an issue given the matriculation age different between BSMD candidates and traditional path :wink:

srk@2017

Interesting thought regarding pattern on finding partners for these BS MD’s some may be 22 as compared to average class age of 25 in M1

most 7 year program matriculants would be 21. My S would have been 20, that’s one factor we considered :smiley:

To All, did anyone had NJMS interview at all. As one coming up and wondering what is the interview like and to prepare as out of 8 programs I applied only got interviews NJMS. Really appreciate for any tips for medical interview as will be the first and last and only one and do not want to screw up. So only hope is NJMS.