***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

I think so, remember as being posted on some NIH site. As an example, the average MCAT of the half a dozen or so students in C’s program, close enough to share each other’s stats, was > 519. Given at the end of sophomore year, most of them with a casual self preparation to fulfill the program formality.

all the best @ubsmd2020

Has anyone on this thread gotten HPME invites recently ?

Well there is always a solution, take a gap year to wait for partner from future traditional batch. :smile:

There is no question that BSMD matriculants are good test takers but question is with P/F grades in medical schools and now Step 1 also P/F how well they compete in ECs and research with traditional path candidates? I guess it will be a good NIH funded research topic :smile:

always 1% for anything :smile:

Some BS/MD programs will help students graduate earlier. The basis for the study is that those students have longer GME time. If match to the those specialties is at stake, It will not help much. Hopefully it becomes clearer in next few years

@NoviceDad

This was the email I got from a while ago. It does say “rolling basis”. They probably wanted to sound nice, I don’t know. :slight_smile:

The Medical School Admission Committee will now review your qualifications. Approximately 60 students will be invited for in person interviews that will take place in the beginning of March. Interview invitations will be released on a rolling basis beginning in mid-February. Students admitted to the program will be selected from those interviewed, and will be notified no later than April 1.

@srk2017 @NoviceDad
Thank you. I imagine what you said applies in one-on-one and panel/group conversatioal-based interviews. However, there are also schools that use scenario-based interview. Would the level of difficulty be turned down a notch. My C has taken the CASPer exam. When we registered for it, I noticed that there are two versions for med school: one of the traditional applicants and one for the BSMD programs.

Addding to that fast forward when it comes to residency, there are 2 candidates, 1 from BS/MD and 1 from traditional. BS/MD has no MCAT score, no step 1 score. While traditional have MCAT, no step 1 score. In other words BS/MD student has 1 less objective score available to compete (have to go all the way back to SAT/ACT as GPA can be inflated/deflated depending on UG portion of college), hence significance of ECs alleviated drastically for BS/MD than tradtional.

@SpeedSkater
If they do it on a rolling basis, then it is good.
If past is any indication, then …

@junebug20

Why are you worried about the level of interview - trad vs BS/MD?
Are you noticing any specific behavior from your S?

Do you think residency PDs check MCAT scores?

Go back and check previous year thread. Don’t remember seeing any response this year.

[quote=“srk2017, post:3480, topic:2054445”]

Assuming they have to be same or similar age, even then most BS/MD gives u 1 or 2 years, so age difference is not an issue. FLOTUS was not even born when POTUS matriculated (assumption) :slight_smile:

Ofc not, point trying to make is lack of any objective scores for BS/MD candidates after Jan’22.

[quote=“OmGV2020, post:3498, topic:2054445”]

I don’t want French president issue for my S. I don’t have a D to worry about POTUS :smile:

@srk2017 @PPofEngrDr

if I am not mistaken, ERAS form (used for residency applications) has NO place for MCAT, has place for USMLE transcripts.

LOL. In the contrary, he seems too relaxed. He said very few questions we prepped him for actually came up at his college and scholarship interviews and that he was asked more about what he has done. Yet, no scholarship from those interviews. I hope it’s because he didn’t fit the cohort they are looking for, not because of his interviews.

Correct, because step 1 is there. Point trying to make is, BS/MD student for residency application has none objective score (assume schools doesn’t require MCAT and student didn’t take the MCAT either) to rely on after Jan’22. Expect drastic changes for residency selection from school to school.