***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Irrespective of actual decision dates or their order, all decisions should be out by end of March, except 1-2 exceptions. Then you have whole month of April to decide to commit by 1st May.

@MD2028

Enjoy your spring break.
Stay safe.

Folks

For some there may be a little “lull” in the process but for many the interviews are still

• Rochester - this weekend
  • NJMS - next 2 weeks
  • Hofstra - till March 9
  • FAU - Week of March 9
  • Stonybrook - after that
  • Oklahoma - after that

If there is a “lull”, relax and enjoy till you get decisions.

If you are waiting for interviews, be smart about preparations and do not overdo it.

Is fau done with invites? Do they send rejections? Thanks

Posting for my son:
ACT -34
SAT -1550
SAT I - Math 1 - 740
Two presidential scholar gold awards
Congressional Award
Patent
Multiple summer research works
Varsity sport captain
Shadowing physician
Not in the top 10% of the school
GPA: 3.7 (Weighted)

Direct Med Programs:
UMKC - Rejected
Penn State / JM - Rejected (Got into BME)
Pitt - Rejected (Got into BME)
Union / AMC - Rejected
August U - Rejected (Got into BME)
Baylor U - Rejected (Got into BME)
NSU - Got in (DO Program)
LECOM - Got in (DO Program)
UNE - Got in (DO Program)
Brookline BA MD (Waiting for interview result)
NYIT - Waiting
UConn - Waiting
Rowan -Got through two stages, rejected without interview

Direct undergrad schools: Tulane, Purdue, Baylor, Rose-Hulman and Pitt are top choices

This journey is extremely painful for all of us, just want this to be over with.

Yeah, back to same song !!! I will prefer a widely popular US website than an alternate international publisher.

HS GPA (unweigthed) and class rank matters for BS/MD interviews.

@futuremedico and all of the members
Are the Rowan bs/md interview invites out? We thought they would come out in a few weeks.

@amenmom
FAU interview invites are done.

I do not think they send rejection emails at this time.

Thank you

How is FAU’s medical school? I have a full ride for undergrad and am interviewing for the bsmd next week. Does anyone know if they have strong matches? Would it be worth going to FAU over Upstate?

@PathophysiologyFTW

FAU has 100% match with 1/3 going to primary care. Details of the match are not in their website.

Here is the link to its article
https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/match-day-2019.php

Also note FAU is a new medical school and facilities will be newer.

Upstate match list:
https://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/document/com_19_match.pdf

It is detailed list.

@bsmdparent1234, Last evening we received a rejection for interview for Rowan. So expect to hear from them within next few weeks, good luck!

@grtd2010, Yes you are right. My son has a great resume but the GPA put him off.

@PathophysiologyFTW, What I was told is any med school is good. When visiting campus you feel home, go for it. The only difference will be if you want to very specialized residencies beyond a Family Practice or Emergency Medicine or Internal Medicine. the medical school really matters.

@futuremedico Thank you for letting us know!! Good luck to you as well!

I wonder, how all risk averse parents will advice their kids for upcoming Coronavirus crisis?

For folks asking me about FAU interviews:

The interview dates are March 9, 10 , 12 and 13

Hi @futuremedico

Good luck to you/son. Awesome profile and I can only imagine the hard work.

Quick question among the 4 DO programs, if you are able to share a quick thought. Which one would you prefer ?

Reason for my request is my son will be applying for next year. We are slowly loosing confidence/heart in the BSMD programs mainly because he is unable to get any research … and regular programs 9 to 10 years seem like too long of torture :-). So seriously pursuing BSDO plan B.

Thanks

1 Like

Question:
Speaking with many admissions advisors- Calc at our local college is rated as a full year in terms of meeting requirements.

But BU rep just said it would only count as a half year. It just doesn’t seem right- even for transcription at our high school it is worth 2 credits because it is a 5 credit dual enrollment class.

I don’t know if you kiddo would survive 2 semesters of college Calc right now :frowning: