***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Yes, Computer Science is a good major for pursuing medicine too. There are areas like Genomics and Bioinformatics which blend computer science and biological science related areas. D is pursing a double major in Neuroscience( Cellular & Molecular Biology) and Computer Science as Temple PPHS BS/MD candidate.

Congratulations! to you/your son

I can relate easily, fortunate enough my elder S is a CS junior at UofI (top 7 CS program) and has lined up internship for summer at 6 figure annualized rate.

He has aced all semesters so far for CS and know can easily go to med school, but he lacks passion for med school, rather wants to pursue a research based masters at top 5 CS programs.
At least in our cases passion for field comes well ahead of cost/earnings criteria.

Did you elder S take any pre-med pre-requisites yet (besides Physics I & II and Calculus I & II) ? I do not think CS majors take any chemistry or biology courses as a part of CS curriculum. It is easier if your major is Biology or Chemistry to take CS courses to do a minor or a double major in CS. D developed passion for CS while she took a summer class at Stanford during High School.

@srk2017 @Vicky2019 @PPofEngrDr
All great points. I didn’t know getting a good GPA is harder in Computer Science.
Is that true even if you have a 5 in AP CS and a solid Programming background ?

I also like the @PPofEngrDr statement : risk of bread Vs risk of dream

My D got
SLU
W&J/Temple
Drexel
Waiting for FAU and then decide
Any Suggestions which is good to Join

How good are you in Mathematics ? CS is beyond just programming in a language. There courses in discrete mathematics, data structures, algorithms, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems and System programming, Languages and Compilers, Automaton Theory, Artificial Intelligence, Databases, , Computer Networking etc as core as well as electives in B.S (CS). The GPA will depend on school and grading policies as competition will be tough.

He hasn’t as he is not interested to pursue med, but based on all classes and vigor, confident he can ace those too (he got 1st B+ in a CS class where majority students are either Grad or PhD), but he simply not interested to pursue. Also all CS programs are not same, unlike general perception of BS/MD degree, when you go to field those differences are very apparent.
He wants to pursue AI/ML route, so added statistics minor this year that extended graduation to senior year (stat minor requires 3 classes sequence that one can’t combine due to prerequisite nature, otherwise would have wrap-up this summer)

Very nice, finally we have a connection. :smile:

SLU is not a direct program, based on other BS/MD acceptances, I will rule out SLU.

I donot know about W&J (Washington & Jefferson UG) but Temple LKSOM is the best among your choices.

I have done AP CALC AB/BC with a 5 and Multivariable calculus college level course with an A. I think it will bea good idea to check with the graduating class of the college I am interested in joining.

In my opinion, Temple seems like the best option. The UG, Medical school rankings (both clinical, research) are better for temple. It seems the cheapest. If you are in-state, you have a great deal. Considering all colleges to be equally difficult, temple has the least program requirements to graduate.

I am eliminating SLU based on response from @PPofEngrDr. My DS didn’t apply to any of these. So, I just looked up some info -

Temple University’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #104. Its in-state tuition and fees are $19,748; out-of-state tuition and fees are $34,126. The 2019 U.S. News & World Report report of best medical schools lists the school as tied for 57th best in the U.S. for research and tied for 69th for primary care.
• A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.6
• A cumulative undergraduate science GPA of 3.6
• MCAT minimum composite score of 509 with no section less than 126

Drexel University’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #97. Its tuition and fees are $54,516.
Drexel University is ranked No. 91 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 94-122 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.

Maintain at least a 3.6 GPA in all coursework, including all BCPM classes (all biological sciences, chemistry, physics, and math), without repeating a course and with no grade less than a C.

The MCAT is required prior to matriculation into the College of Medicine. Students must receive a minimum MCAT score of 513, including:
 128 or better in chemical and physical foundations of biological systems
 127 or better in critical analysis and reasoning skills
 128 or better in biological and biochemical foundations of living systems
 128 or better in psychological, social, and biological foundations of behavior

Florida Atlantic University’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #281. Its in-state tuition and fees are $6,039; out-of-state tuition and fees are $21,595. Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) is ranked No. 94-122 in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 94-122 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.

• Minimum FAU GPA of 3.7 and MCAT of 510 required

Not sure what others think?

You can do a BS(CS) based on your high school preparation and take pre-med pre-requisites during first two years. You may try to take MCAT sometime during your junior/senior year. Always check with school and any seniors in the department you may want to join. D got admission into UCB (CS) but did not join it. UCB is a known grade deflator school.

FYI, W&J/Temple is different than Temple/Temple(Temple PPHS). Here UG institution is Washington & Jefferson college. W&J is not associated with Temple University.

High school CS, AP outcome and community college classes, may not necessarily define success with college CS.
I have seen candidates start engineering major, but due to med school passion and GPA issues switch major where can achieve required GPA. In other words, pick a school where you have an easy fallback option, rather than switching colleges all together.

@Vicky2019 general observation in last few posts, jump on to cost analysis fast and furious. :neutral:

cost analysis is very important since as a parents you need to pay some cost out of pocket and it’s very difficult if one of your kid already in college (in my case)
I am hoping college do review them but i guess they not reviewing in that detail and you need to appeal there decision.

I see, good point. Thanks for pointing out -

@suku1zar

So, looked up info on W&J/Temple -

It utilizes a 4-1-4-based academic calendar. Washington and Jefferson College’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Liberal Arts Colleges, #92. Its tuition and fees are $49,338. The minimum undergraduate science GPA (biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics) and overall GPA at W&J must be 3.5 averaged over the first 3 years with no grade less than “B-”. Students must also complete 50 hours of medically-related shadowing and/or experiences, 50 hours of community service activities, and demonstrate commitment to serving others through extracurricular activities. The minimum GPA for the fourth undergraduate academic year at W&J must be at least 3.0 with no grade less than “B-.”

The minimum acceptable MCAT score (taken by May of the junior year) requires scoring 509 overall with no individual section score lower than 126. The candidate must apply to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine during the summer preceding the senior year at W&J using the Early Assurance Program Option of the American Association of Medical Colleges Application Service (AMCAS).

Based on the info provided, please decide for yourself what works out better!