***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Anyone heard from RPI/AMC ?

@gtytu12- did not hear from SUNY Upstate yet and interviewed 3/2 as well. Has anyone heard or reached out to them? @Jbuskid we heard from Siena-AMC about a month ago.

@brainbuilder02
No news for us yet.

when did you interview. I recall the dean of admissions saying they choose 20-25 out of the 60 candidates invited for interview. 8-10 end up joining

Our interview was on March 6. Some students from same interview day got in already so I think D did not get offer. They gave same info to us on #s as you mentioned.

Here in CC, I have only 2 people reporting acceptances. Have you heard information in addition to the 2 reported here? My interview was on the 2nd.

To all the seasoned folks on this forum : When calls are made to inform candidates, are these done on a rolling basis similar to interview invites or are all candidates informed on the same day?

@Jbuskid - RPI/AMC interview on 2/27. So far “under consideration”

Why do not you call the bs/md program contact number or email them ? You will get a direct answer. In the worst case, your fears are materialized and you are no longer in a limbo. You will have a peace of mind.

@imsa2020nv http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2178911-case-western-bs-md-ppsp-2020-decision.html#latest

@JBUSKid http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2170091-rpi-amc.html#latest

If something huge happens like this coronavirus pandemic in undergrad and your UG decides to go pass/fail without letting you choose between a grade or pass/fail only. How would med schools treat the P/F science prereq?

This is going to be a universal problem in different shapes and forms with all sort of variations. So it would be seen how would it be treated with majority are at more or less same disadvantage. More problem is for current med students in m2 and m3 with all sort of important activities are being canceled that can’t be just learned in online world.

My DC has gotten acceptances to BU and REMS. While we have done a lot of research comparing the programs, we would like your input as to what he should prefer. He has decent scholarships from both the programs . We are really thankful for having options and want to make the right decision.

Thanks for your input.

@ricesondad

If finance / cost is not a criteria, BU may edge (because of location and more access to research / hospitals). But I would suggest besides asking in this forum, reach out to students who are currently studying in the respective programs and get their feedback both good and bad and see how it will matter to your child.

Go back to previous years results thread and see the handles for students who enrolled in BU and UR. There are many posts for these 2 popular programs.

You are not going to be wrong with either option. GL.

What’s your DC looking in a program? BU is 7 years, REMS is 8 years. Rochester is small town and I heard not much to do there. That could be good for parents since kids will spend more time studying :smile: I believe Rochester residency match outcomes is better than BU. I personally favor 8 yrs over 7 yrs.

Both are very close in terms of average GPA, MCAT score and USN ranking,
Boston University 3.76 516 29 (3+4) BS/MD
University of Rochester 3.7 514 34 (4 + 4) BS/MD
There is no MCAT required UOR (REMS) where as BU requires min 3.2 GPA and MCAT 80%(~511) for matriculation to SOM.
Both have bad winters, depends where do you reside now.
Finances are similar except 1 more year of UG at UOR.
There are ample research opportunities at both.
It is a toss up in my opinion with a inclination towards BU. If one wants to skip MCAT, definitely go with UOR.

@ricesondad

You cannot go wrong with either program. Both are great programs.

Question - of the two, where did your DC feel more comfortable? If your son is going to spend atleast 7 years at one location, it is important his subjective feel of the college / environment is factored into the decision process.

Happy day for my C - two admissions in one day - Case PPSP and UMKC 6 year!

Congrats @Nvidia20