***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Nvidia20 @Vicky2019 thanks for the advice!

We are anxiously waiting for it too. Looks like thatā€™s the last program to announce. I canā€™t seem to get the number of students they admit on any of the feeder schoolā€™s website. Whatever data they have may not be updated. Do each feeder school have a set number of spots? What if a student is recommended by multiple feeder schools? I understand the student can choose where they can end up for UG but how does NJMS factor the number of spots in that case?

Also reminder that all kids I know who went to Carribean or India to study medicine matched this year. Just like some Caribbean haters on SDN, we have traditional path haters here :slight_smile:

Best is know your kidā€™s strengths and weaknesses and make decision based on that and ignore all the noises.

I was looking at TCNJ/NJMS. I do not see any information about honors program for BS/MD students? If youā€™re selected for BS/MD, are you also by default admitted to their Honors program? Can someone give more details on this?

I think RB or BB or WashU will be the last ones to announce (all low to mid single digits in takes, so may not change much for most)ā€¦

Yes NJMS has different numbers of slots allotted based on feeders and uses ball park figures of enrollment for each of them from the past to get an approximate guesstimate numbers of total enrolled. If more students than expected enroll (as it happened at BU and Penn State in the past), they will adjust the number of candidates they will be interviewing in traditional route in the batch corresponding to this batchā€™s matriculation into med school.

Conversely if any of the students from the BS/MD route from any of the feeders want to leave the program early for any reason(s) the cut off for notifying them is early junior year and they will increase the pool for traditional route applicants correspondingly.

Regarding number of students admitted/enrolled stats, remember seeing on NJIT websiteā€™s faq page last year. I think they had some 19 acceptances through them out of which 13 enrolled. Also someone posted on last yearā€™s discussion thread I believe, that 16 enrolled through TCNJ. Think these are the biggest feeders by numbers.

My S have been offered 7 YR BS/MD at GW University and 8 yr joint BSMD Hofstra program. We are awaiting NJMS 7 yr outcome in next few days. can someone guide whatā€™s their perspective on all 3 colleges. We are evaluating all 3 and comparing all 3 options on the table but would be great to hear out from expert and experienced parents in this groupā€¦ thank you in advanceā€¦

It will always help to inform if cost is a factor when seeking input. Provide state of residence also. These 2 data points will help when any one responds.

Also does your S have any inclination towards particular speciality (I know itā€™s too early) and what kind of UG experience he wants to have.

Even in CAS(College of Arts and Sciences) at UCB with the popular pre-med major Integrative Biology, it is very competitive to get a GPA > 3.8. D had admission at UCB(CS) and did research a lot before deciding not to join. May be UC Davis is a better alternative for pre-med as suggested before by @srk2017 .

Are you a NJ resident ? If yes, NJMS should be your first choice. May be Hofstra and GW in this order. The duration of 7 or 8 years is irrelevant in choosing a MD career path.

How do you take into account specialty in decision making ? Match List ? Just count the numbers of spot for the specialty in match list. This may be very misleading since IM is chosen by many who want to further sub-specialize.
It is a fallacy to assume that anyone can get into any residency at any Medical School at this stage(start of BS/MD).

You should call TCNJ after you get a phone call from them about NJMS if you are selected. Do you want to join TCNJ for UG alone ?. Hope you have other UG options ?

Is the rationale the benefit of instate tuition? Please clarify.

Both NJMS and RWJ in NJ are good medical schools on its own and also one of the lowest in-state medical school tuition may be after Texas medical schools.

@grtd2010, Thanks for your response! My daughter is still going to apply this Fall, she is junior now. We are just trying to shortlist our colleges.

Do not worry about it now just make a list of BS/MD programs now. Visit them for further research before applying. Most students attend TCNJ/NJMS combination.

[quote=ā€œgrtd2010, post:5305, topic:2054445ā€]

Do not worry about it now just make a list of BS/MD programs now. Visit them for further research before applying. Honors program is open for all in the college not specific to BS/MD only.

Just learnt NU is going to be Ā§ass/(No P)ass for next spring Q begins from coming Monday.

Is it good or bad for those applying to medical school ?

@RJP1973 When did your son receive admission to the Hofstra program? I emailed them and they said they were going to send them out this week but I have yet to receive anything from them.