***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@mi2019

If the applicant is not ORM, and even better if URM, Brown PLME topples everything else in terms of getting in, because of sheer number of slots available as you mentioned.
Chances may also go up significantly for those willing to commit ED, which is binding though, that you will enroll whether or not admitted to PLME. So if the student really loves Brown and is fine going traditional route from there or may be even open to other professions possibly, applying ED may be a significant booster.

(My feeling, personally don’t know anyone who did that and got into PLME, but do know a top student from a top school in the nation who didn’t via RD).

Brown and Ivies are generous with need based awards but don’t give a dime on merit. So the option of going ED may suit well in certain situations. You may get into PLME and even otherwise get good education at a reasonable price.

@rk2017

Thanks but if you are not ORM and do not qualify for need based Ivy aid model ?

I meant if you are not URM

Then you need to evaluate if Brown is the student’s dream school, not counting getting into PLME and any aid. If so, apply ED which I think will boost his chances for PLME as well.

For the top student I mentioned, that was not the case, so he chose to apply only RD to PLME and didn’t get in there.

Correction the 2019 PLME stats mentions infact 94 were offered and 61 joined so the number offered is more than 60 Students for 2019

Curious why 33 (which is more than 30 percent did not join the program?? Are there any issues and which other programs they can go as this is the top program offered by Ivy

Below are PLME stats for 2019

Number of applicants to PLME - 2641

Number offered admission to PLME - 94
20 Early Decision; 74 Regular Action

Number of PLME matriculants - 61
20 Early Decision; 41 Regular Action;
22 males; 39 females

https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/plme/information-prospective-students/admissions-facts-and-figures

@mi2019

There can be multiple reasons why the 33 students chose not to join. Doesn’t mean anything wrong with the program. It has good reputation world wide:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/subject-ranking/clinical-pre-clinical-health#!/page/0/length/25/locations/US/sort_by/scores_overall/sort_order/asc/cols/scores:4

Some of the 33 students may have gone to traditional undergrad at top Ivies (HPY), Stanford or MIT?

Or within BS/MD programs like NU or BU which are accelerated. Also BU offers merit awards to some students (though a small fraction) either through presidential or NMS which Brown doesn’t. Or may be to Pitt or CWRU which may offer good aid packages though not being accelerated.

@mi2019 For 33 students, medicine as a career choice is more important than the stamp did UG at Brown.

My D got UG admission today for UPitt but haven’t heard anything about Supplement.

@brown2024 ,Did your D get Upitt Supplement after UG acceptance ?

@ramen2020 , Did you get the Supplemental App along with UG admission?

@Somo2020 UPitt supplement was sent out a week after UG admission. you will have 1 month to complete it

@Somo2020
No we did not get the supplement.

@mi2019 i know couple of students who went to NJIT/NJMS and VCU and didnt go to Brown because of money
 Brown could cost $660K at the end of the day
 the other two costs substantially less including free UG
 i have seen students who went to NJIT/NJMS and didnt attend HPME because of the same reason.

@sammyGA , Thanks, Yes she made the progress.

For anyone who applied to NJIT 7-year, I just interviewed at NJIT today. It was a 30 min panel interview with 3 faculty members who mainly just drilled me on why medicine, what specifically about ECs/volunteer activities led me to choose medicine, why not some other field, why NJIT/NJMS and not somewhere else (come prepared with SPECIFICS), and why accelerated program. I believe all applicants are forwarded to NJMS from this stage but less than half receive the second interview.

My DC got admitted to union and the application has been forwarded to Albany medical college today. We should expect supplemental app request with in the next week. Anyone else in this group with any updates regarding this program?

@2FutureBSMDsMom my DD also received Albany medical college forward from union today . Received supplemental a few hours later, should not be too soon for you and your DC.

@2FutureBSMDsMom @starplatinum
Congrats on the first cut at AMC.

Does supplement need additional paper or electronic recommendations
OR
is it just info plus bio plus essays.

@theman2567
Congrats on making 2 cuts at NJIT/NJMS.

The ADHC committee decides which apps to send to NJMS after Round 1 interview and will inform you via mail.

While it is OK to talk about the process and help people, sharing interview questions in the middle of the process is borderline unethical
? Not judging you.

Consider the disservice to the ADHC committee, and the candidates who went through the process cold. That includes you.

ROUND 1 Interviews at NJIT/NJMS run through week 1 in december.

@theman2567 did you get interview from TCNJ/NJMS? or anyone else? Any other programs are sending interview emails besides NJIT/NJMS?

@sammyGA
please don’t be selfish - for that matter you shouldn’t be asking question posted in #961