***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@bsmdgal, @SAYSA ,@Sps3273 my dc also received the amc supplemental today and its due next week

@bsmdgal, @SAYSA ,@Sps3273 ,@2FutureBSMDsMom - When did youÂź child take the casper test. Mine took on 11/19.

Thanks

Congratulations @rtimesr . Wish you good luck. No experience with interview at AMC. Still trying to make sense why my D got rejected for interview.

Also good luck to all who got supplements. Wish you all the best.

@BSMD mom
sorry to hear about the rejection for rpi/amc. Don’t loose hope, your D will get in elsewhere. Was recommendation included as part of your supplemental app submission amc?

RPI/AMC people, did you take the November CASPER?

@“BSMD mom”

One theory that I heard about AMC over the last couple of years, right or wrong, they seem obsessed with high school GPA. So though a reputed undergrad institution and their feeder school like RPI, sees the rigor of the high school curriculum and other factors in deciding which applicants to forward to AMC, it starts all over again there with the supplements it seems. They may be looking at GPA as a number and not necessarily the underlying quality, such as someone taking much harder courses and attending a highly competitive school and scoring way better on the subject tests etc.

@rtimesr

Have your parents or someone check out last year’s (2019) thread for some general interviewing tips. There were a lot of posts, so don’t recommend you do it yourself. They can search for key words such as interview, tips, suggestions etc. to help narrow the content.

@2FutureBSMDsMom
On supplemental part AMC did not ask for any recommendation just few essays.
@ramen2020 my d took October Casper.
@rk2017 , my d ‘S GPA is almost perfect.Last year someone from her school with lower GPA is attending RPI/amc this year. So god knows what is this admission committee is looking for.

Does anyone know if the AMC application has been sent out to students who applied to Siena?

thank you so much! @rk2017 just wanted to point out that my high school GPA is actually on the lower end for many programs, 3.8. based on the supplemental app, I’m pretty sure they just reallllly like research (whole section devoted to it)

@ramen2020 i took in september!

@bsmd mom - when did you apply to Union/AMC? I applied September and just heard from them for AMC supplemental. I have heard that if they consider the candidate to be too good, they might reject, as they know, they are likely to get in other top schools.

@momcincy - I took CASPER on 11/19 also!

To make more complicated ,D also had tons of research experience as well. So now what else they want?

@SAYSA we applied to RPI not union.
May be you have point about being over qualified. Is that such a thing?

Couple of years ago there was this profile of a truly outstanding student in every sense. What seemed perfect in everything: academics, test scores, leadership, ECs, research (1st author on few publications). Either she was not called for interviews at all for some of the 7 or 8 BS/MD programs applied to or turned down after interviews where called. Some one on the forum felt it was probably due to the essays but I don’t think so. I think she went on to enroll in a top Ivy traditional undergrad (one of HYP).

When are the invitations for interview at Penn State sent out? Any idea.

rtimesr - Does it mean if I do not get the supplement then I am reject?

@clone89 I think that AMC is sending out supps to people who did CASPER early right now

If I applied to the Union program and took the Casper 9/22/19 test, and haven’t received the AMC supplemental yet, does that mean I’m rejected?

RE: AMC

We are seeing Union/AMC supplemental application invites for students who took CASPer in November.
These emails were received today.

ACCEPT vs REJECT:

Why certain students are accepted and why certain students are rejected is a mystery.
Sometimes it is as simple as the student being on the wrong side of an university’s yield management; sometimes it is the essay; sometimes the LORs; sometimes GPA/Scores and sometimes plain luck.

You win some/ you lose some. Sometimes you win all or lose all.

It is still early in the admissions cycle - hang in there.

BS/MD is one path to becomes a doctor and all you need is 1 acceptance.