***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@orm2020

This Isa fairly new program and don’t think the first batch even matriculated to the med school there. Seems to be having more of an EAP than a guaranteed flavor. Since not much is yet known about the program, not sure if they can use the interview to weed out. I would recommend a regular guaranteed program with MCAT and gpa requirements with no interview.

“Students must pass an interview with the College of Medicine in early fall (August/September) of the 3rd year. At the end of Spring semester of the 2nd year, students must provide 2 faculty evaluations.”

@srk2017

Don’t want to hijack the results thread dragging on the comments/questions.
While I leave it to @ramen2020 where to respond, I think this is a more suitable place for any follow ups including reflections.

The case I mentioned is about child’s friend/acquaintance, not our case.

The reason he/she may have chosen the other accelerated program could be multi factor. Below are some I can guess.

1. The med school there is as reputed or may be even more as Brown’s.
  2. The location of the school/program is vibrant with many opportunities for cutting edge exposure to the health care field, with research, internships, student job opportunities at the top medical institutions etc.
  3. She/he had tonnes of APs and may have felt it was redundant going through a traditional or 8 year programs. (Let go both brown PLME and Caltech among others). Apparently finished AP Calc BC in freshman year high school with an A and 5 on the AP test.
  4. The scholarship was icing on the cake. The curriculum for the undergrad is liberal arts focused similar to Brown’s.

Also as someone posted few days earlier here regarding the stats for Brown, it is not uncommon for people selected for PLME regular route to go somewhere else. Somewhere between 40-50% chose not to join for their own reasons.

@coolguy456 This is what the status says :
Decision for the Albert Dorman Honors College Application is:
Honors College Accept (HA)
Does this mean accepted? Whats HA?

@staycalm123 i also see the same status. not sure what HA is.

@ramen2020 can confirm

The reason what I think he applied to others as time fo applying he was not sure on Brown admission decision

But with his credentials he would have been a competitive candidate for T20 BS MD Medical school programs which he cannot avail now being Commited to Brown ED again nothing is right or wrong

Not all students take advantage of T20 medical schools and Brown is a very well regarded medical school

T20 Schools have more research going on funding and faulty to mentors which you cannot find at lower ranked medical schools but again not all T20 school students take advantage

@NoviceDad We received the supplemental for Hofstra. The last Casper exam is Jan 9th. Not sure if this test result will be taken into consideration. Is Casper required for the BS MD program or regular admissions?

@PathophysiologyFTW
From what we have heard Purchase and Albany have no supplements - straight though to SUNY Upstate once shortlisted.
My DS was accepted to Albany and it was noted in his acceptances that if successful, interview notifications will be sent out early January

@mi2019

Brown is a darn good medical school. Doesn’t matter what ranking some faulty web site assigns it, T20 or not. It is just a number.
No one needs to regret going there as long as finances are not an issue.
On the same token many med schools not as good as Brown’s find places way higher on that list of that faulty site.

@rk2017 - Results thread should be about results, reflections and discussions on their feedback so that future applicants can reference it rather than going thru 100+ pages of this (or previous years) thread . This thread should be about application process for current cycle so I won’t comment about our discussion in the results thread here.

y’all so who we planning to impeach today?

Anyone here who got PMM interview share your stats? Seems PMM has been stingy with interview this year.

@nvidia20, my dc got rejected too. We were very surprised.

Hope they are not closing down the program!

Good to hear, I just received a similar letter two days ago and an email with the AMC supplemental application

@Nvidia20 , we were surprised too. I am curious about the stats of the kids who got the interview. If they are closing down they wouldn’t be receiving applications from the students isnt’ it ?

Kush

Pleasant/unpleasant surprises are part of BS/MD journey, fast forward on 1st April, every applicant will find their home.

Some of you may find prior year applicants college experience, http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1989563-bsmd-applicants-college-experience-report-p1.html, helpful. As current half of academic year is winding down, prior applicants may want to add the info.

@kush22 and others,

Don’t read the closing down the PMM program statement literally.
Was meant to be in a lighter and sarcastic way considering how many applicants they have turned down so far.

@rk2017 thanks for your comment on Rutgers /RWJ scholars. If do get accepted, will collect more info about the interview :slight_smile:

@stayclam123 , @coolguy456 , I got the same comment too… Guessing HA may stand for healthcare applicants.