***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@rk2017 "Don’t lose sleep over the timings of the calls or other communication. "

Thanks for your enthusiasm . Many of us probably have gone through the stage of sleeplessness / distress and started to realized the truth after one and another door shutting down.

Getting to be interviewed is like 10% chance, then flip the coin one more time for final result. Before I am hoping the high SAT scores may help, now I feel like one of the participant in Olympic games . It really takes a lot to be the final champion.

So be sure to have a Plan B as safety net if BSMD fall through … Then one can sleep well :slight_smile:

@ROSSX2 , @orm2020 (sorry referred to wrong orm… earlier, correcting)

Thanks! Our plan B during child’s cycle was to either go to local state university for traditional Premed undergrad or this other coveted program in quantitative finance at another local private university with a significant scholarship / price break. Child’s concern with the latter was that once in that program, there will be change of mind and the med school plan will go off the table. Luckily got accepted into the top choice direct med program beyond our expectations, even as other not so reputed ones turned down.

Our plan B is well in place - great EA acceptances with merit awards along with our flagship state school. If plan A works out - it will be an added bonus.
Happy holidays everyone!!

@brown2024

Congratulations! Who knows, plan B may even become plan A even after acceptances in this route!

Bs md journey is unpredictable have seen kids with top scores and EC could not make It even after getting 3 or 4 interviews so back up plan is important. The only worry as a parent is that kids should not get discouraged to change their path from medicine in their backup plan if their passion is medicine

In bigger picture BS MD are only 5 percent of all Med school seats and also they may be not the optimal medical schools From cost, Location , speciality interest perspective. Hear that some not joining them and taking traditional route also.

Still going through the process kids mature and add to their EC which Keep them ahead of premed peers in the traditional competitive route

Happy Holidays everyone…

All admission offices will be closed for the holidays now.

So please spend time with you near and dear ones and enjoy the season.

@rk2017 ,@GoldenRock, I have a concern about bs/md 7 years program. I hear lot of stories from friends about not being graduated to Medical school especially in 7 year programs due to various reasons like GPA, stress etc. I read somewhere that you get your BS/BA diploma only after completing the 1st year of medical school. f the kid cannot graduate to medical school, do they still get their BS degree or allowed to transfer the courses to some other college to complete the graduation? Please share your knowledge on this.

How did you get union interview? Email or letter?

@mygrad2021

The attrition rate for BS/MD 7 year programs is quite low actually, 5-10% mostly.
If for some reason the student is not able to matriculate into the med school either because of their own change of minds or not being able to cope up, they will be able to graduate from the undergrad, even in 3 years if they have enough AP/IB/college level courses. These programs are very flexible that way. Some of the programs even allow full range of AP credits in such cases that normally won’t be allowed for the other students in the program.

Thanks for your quick response @rk2017 ! That makes me feel little relaxed.

Hello, I was just notified by Drexel that my BA/BS-MD application was forwarded to the Drexel College of Medicine. They said that the deadline to pay the medical school application fee is January 15. Happy Holidays!

@brown2024 @SpeedSkater Thanks! If I didn’t get an invite, does that mean I was rejected?

@rk2017 Thanks for the message!

I also got the notification. Already paid the fee. Now hope to get the actual interview!

Quick question - did anyone who applied to Union/AMC receive a confirmation email after submitting their AMC supplemental application? I didn’t, and now I’m worrying that they never got my application :confused:

Congrats @Vitawat345 !

@soccerdude5 Interview invite was through email.
@DesiDancing There was no confirmation. However, you can check that you have submitted if you login into their portal.

@therosea With the unpredictability of the BS/MD process, it’s going to be a long wait with not much of a response at times. It’s also the holiday season. I wouldn’t throw my Hope’s away.

Happy holidays to everybody here! We will all be fine. :smile:

Thank you @SpeedSkater !

Happy holidays everyone!