***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@orm2020 Thank you, that is helpful!

@coolguy456, @gradedu - Thank you

[quote=ā€œPPofEngrDr, post:1713, topic:2054445ā€]

@NoviceDad

that is true as admission probability but that is not same as matriculation rate. I also leave it there at this point.

@orm2020

So one should apply to 50 to get to 125%. And not every BS/MD programs falls into top 40, there are very few, rest are just business tactics.

@SpeedSkater : I think it is better to clarify the STORY behind my joke - a friend of mine who is now a med school student . I asked him about the application process and how tough it was to be admitted during a thanksgiving dinner . He said one of his classmates applied 40 med schools and ended up with NOTHING after all. I cannot keep wondering how a student in an IVY can perform badly ā€¦ I was quite naive then:)

Now as a BSMD applicant, I have to accept the truth one need to prepare for the big flat ZERO. And that is how the ā€œ40ā€ come up as it is in my mind long time. So one strong candidate may get 100% acceptance rate ( multiple offers ) , other may get 0% - assume both submitted 40 applications.

As @Mahikesh mentioned, students got admitted into NJIT BSMD have to give up Top schools. The fact that thousands students accepted into Ivies would not fit into the 10 openings available. :blush:

No news yet which makes me think that my DC didnt get it

Anyone in this forum got interview at BU?
So whoever did not receive call or email as of yet are not selected for SMED ?

BU will not communicate if did not receive interview ?

@ā€œBSMD momā€ believe one received something from BU SMED, but I am not at a liberty to disclose anything more than that.

@GoldenRock:
If you donā€™t mind, could you please share your story and research about LECOM? Its DO program seems too good (low UG GPA and no MCAT)
Thanks

@orm2020 TCNJ will give $10,500 max for instateā€¦ They stopped giving full tuition few years as per their deanā€¦ NJIT and TCNJ will fight for kids once NJMS acceptance come inā€¦ that is one of the reason NJIT included the meal planā€¦

For NJIT, they will give $12K when you get admission, then full tuition and lodging once you get honors and meal plan after NJMSā€¦

TCNJ will pitch that they are very selective school, safe environment, could get reseach in UPENN (even though it is hours away), etcā€¦

D is taking Bio as majorā€¦

Thank you for info @PPofEngrDr . I understand.

Thank you everyone for all the valuable info on admissions and finances!! Does anyone know how much four years at NJMS cost (for in-state), including all expenses? Do students in the combined medical programs receive any ā€œspecialā€ scholarships from NJMS?

@Mihikesh, Thanks for your information about TCNJ and NJIT. I am silently following the conversation. I do have few questions on these colleges? Which one NJIT or TCNJ has more research opportunities? How far is the medical colleges for these two to have research opportunity?
Another question is do they give more preference to in-state than oos?

@mygrad2021 NJIT is a R1 (top tier) rated university in research and is 5 min away from NJMS. TCNJ is a four year college but they say some students could get research in UPennā€¦ There is no medical school near TCNJ. In NJIT, i have never heard a freshman doing research so farā€¦ But heard kids in sophomore and Junior years doing at NJMS or NJITā€¦ When i visited TCNJ, the campus is slightly bigger my district high school and didnt see any cutting edge research going on there. However, TCNJ gets 20 students compared to 10 or 11 in NJIT.

Last year, out of 10 or 11 (not sure) students admitted, i know atleast 3 are OOS. one from Arizona, NY and Minnesotaā€¦

@Mahikesh , Thanks for the information! Any idea which school sends more students to NJMS? Looks like out of state chances are less.

@mygrad2021 TCNJ sends 70 to NJMS last year (TCNJ dean gave that number to us when we did the interview) compared to NJITs 50

Thanks @Mahikesh ! So how many students TCNJ accepts every year into their BS/MD program from out of state? So most of them are from their regular pre-med going to NJMS?

@bsmdparent1234 NJMS costs $41K as tuition for instate per yearā€¦ another 20K for livingā€¦you can drive from home if you live closer (many do) and save the living expenditure. Not sure about scholarshipsā€¦

@mygrad2021 TCNJ sends the most to NJMSā€¦ Not sure how many OOS they sendā€¦ my guess is 30%ā€¦

@Thanks @Mahikesh!

how Many total individual students does NJMS take into the BSMD program ? And seems about 30% OOS ā€¦ thanks

Do colleges calculate High school GPA differently? In our school A,A+ and A- are the same. Do colleges differentiate that? If so, which colleges are more particular about this?