***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@helperdad My guess is that NJMS should have BSMD kids joining between 40 and 50 every year… it is very difficult for kids who gets NJMS through Rutgers/NJIT/TCNJ to turn down the offer just because of cost alone… i know many easily turned down Brown because of cost alone and opt for other BSMDs like VCU/NJMS/PMM… i know one turned down HPME and came to NJIT last year…

had a question regarding alumni interviews; for those who offer (such as Brown and Northwestern), is there any advantage to doing the interview in terms of their BS/MD program? asking because the closest interview to me is 65 miles away and I’m not really confident driving that far.

hey everyone, my DS has his tcnj video interview soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/info about what the video interview will be like? general questions asked, etc?

Hey guys, I have my PSU PMM interview in 8 days…
It’s my top program and I’d be super appreciative of any tips or things to prepare for?

@mahikesh : Thanks for sharing all the insider information, so current applicants have a clear picture months ahead for financing planning.

Since I received a copy of contact names of all TCNJ bsmd students in past 5 years , not many OOS attend TCNJ ( probably the cost factor kicked in ).

Freshman : 1 out of 11 , from NY
Sophomores : 4 out of 16, from NY, NY, NC, CA
Juniors : 1 out of 16, from CA
NJMS 1st year : 3 out of 15, from CA, PA, AR

I would say most oos headed to NJIT, so ended up 30% , 3 out of 10.

I am just a bit worried about the seats in TCNJ, hope it go back up for all of us here.

Again, extremely difficult decisions to give up PLME, and HPME … These students/parents probably has their own way of reasonings. I have no doubt they are making the right decisions , because only exceptional students will receive these offers. I dont think I need to struggle through such a high level problem :smiley:

@Mahikesh : Do your daughter plan to graduate in 2 years ? I know everyone has tonnes of AP credits applicable.

I am reviewing the 3 year NJIT curriculum , it requires 107 credits to advance to NJMS . 4 year BA biology is 120 credits. So the acceleration is mostly from AP credits and transfers ? Is my interpretation correct ?

https://catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/science-liberal-arts/biology/ba-md-dmd-dds-od/

Hi guys, does anyone know how easy it is to pass the interview after the undergraduate years for the joint degree program at Seton Hall? Given that a student has met the gpa and mcat requirements, what is the percentage of the the students in the joint program make it to the Med school? Does anyone know any students who are currently in this program?

@bsmdparent1234 : I did not pick the program based on it " guarantee " an interview . And it is a major benefits as small amount of students received interview.

You are better off ask Seton Hall for contact lists of current students to find out more. I would not hesitate to do if Seton Hall is my top choice.

Did you get a free ride for UG ?

@orm2020

@orm2020
Thank you!! I should call them and ask for contacts!! I got my merit package but am still waiting for my fafsa app to be processed, but based on what my admissions counselor said, I am expecting about $5,000/6,000 since I can commute

You do not need to worry focus on interviews

Every family has different financial priorities and there is no right and wrong decision.

For BS MD medical college ranking and match list criteria is more important than undergraduate school.

@orm2020 : How can I get the names/contacts of BS/MD students at TCNJ, NJIT etc? You had indicated in your post that you had secured 5 years worth of data. Thanks for sharing. I am the first-time college goer in my family, so any help is appreciated.

As per TCNJ website, NJMS will accept upto 40 kids from TCNJ. is that not accurate any more?

@brainbuilder02 : TCNJ handed it out during interviews , so it is “public” to whoever there .

@coolguy456 : I dont think TCNJ update their website every year. But the handouts should be accurate with every student name and emails. Say if you met someone from your high school, it is easy to ask how they are doing there.

Another interesting fact is if listed by high schools, hardly any show up 2 times in 3 years.

@mi2019 : I am very curious for the reasons behind the scene :slight_smile: Maybe there is some secret I can discover . So I am comparing curriculum line by line …

In the mean time, as you say just patiently waiting for the final round to come through.

@gradedu @momcincy + any others interested in Union’s LIM program, feel free to ask me any questions regarding the program!

Good luck to everyone; you will end up in the right place for you. :slight_smile:

@orm2020 NJMS Match list better than many higher ranked medical schools, so my comment was in reference to not worry about undergrad as long as you can sail to NJMS.

Received a BU interview just today! Don’t lose hope!

1 Like

@mi2019 : Thanks for pointing me to the right destination :slight_smile: With the high percentage of ORM in NJMS , no doubt with a good match list .

I could not understand why PLME average a "low 742/770 " SAT score , until a parent point me the single digit seats on ORM.