***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@gradedu - thank you

@Somo2020 : how did you find out about rutgers email being sent?

@brainbuilder02 ,

@BSMD2020Tired posted( #1917 ) it. Congratulations and good luck for the interview for your daughter.

I received a phone interview for Rutgers/NJMS for next Wednesday, the 15th. I was notified by email.

@rk2017 : 400k snowball simulation similar to a mortgage, it grow when rolling down the hill, and depends on how much effort one can spare to take it out quick. It can pile up and out of control if it did grow to a lump sun of 800k, the 7% annual interest cost would be $56,000 ā€¦

If it is ZERO interest rate, then BORROW to invest on stock market on top of childā€™s education !

@orm2020 and all parents here

One point I have emphasize

Your child will get student loans and repay it if not in 5 years, then in 10 or 12 years.
Suggest you have a clear discussion on finances with them and let them worry about it.

Using your retirement funds to fund your childā€™s education is a risky strategy as there are NO bank loans for retirement.

@BSMD2020Tired @Vitawat345 : All the best!

Folks

In this long roller-coaster ride, it is quite natural to have some frustrations time to time, especially after submitting an application as most of the things are outside our control.

In such times, the best strategy is to calm down and breathe easy.

All: How many days is Rutgers conducting phone interviews?

@BSMD2020Tired @Vitawat345 : Can you please share your metadata: SAT | GPA| APs|EC|

@junebug20 (and any newbies)

There is an option to search any given thread by clicking on the search/field glass icon.
Enter key words like Tulane or TPM or anything else and you should see earlier references to posts related to those words.

If you donā€™t see the icon if browsing from the cell phone, make sure you have the ā€œDesktop siteā€ enabled by clicking the browser options on the top right corner of the screen.

@rk2017 I tried to search using the glass icon for the past week, but there was very little about TPM since itā€™s just into its third year. Iā€™m hoping someone on this board who has been here long enough to hear from those who got selected for the interviews or got selected for the program.

does anyone have prior stats for rutgers/njms + candidate profiles?

@rk2017 looks like you tagged yourself instead of me :smiley: Anyway, someone said usually marathon runners donā€™t do triathlon since they are totally different sports :smile: Anyway, letā€™s wait until someone else brings up the topic and we can recycle our arguments :wink:

@brainbuilder02 In a prior email, they said they would conduct phone interviews January 15-16.

@Vitawat345 : can u share your metadata please? I wanted to understand what Rutgers looks for. thanks buddy!

Looks like RPI/AMC sent few invites today. One kid I am advising got it. Time to prep them for the interview :smile:

Few quick points.

1. Marathon/Triathlon - Everyone here would agree that successful triathlon athletes are better athletes than marathon runner, it doesnā€™t mean marathon runners are bad. Instead of focusing on athletes, we are focused on track-field these athletes run on. As long as you are a good athlete, you will succeed irrespective of track-field. Candidate should ask themselves a simple question, do I have energy and capacity to explore triathlon or not?
  1. Finance - not just education, but you borrow anything in your life do your due diligence. Tap into retirement for children education is a noble thought to help kids but if anything goes wrong it will be disaster for parents, there is no plan B. Plenty of posts had explained that eloquently. There is always risk/reward analysis. Again it boils down to how risk averse is one? If you are a multi-millionaire, few 100K risk is not going to jeopardize you.
  2. Active candidate/parents from previous cycles goal is to provide experience and insight to current cycle applicants,. A choice for one applicant may not be worth anything for another applicant, still both are right in their decisions. Sometimes in that rhetoric, it may feel frustrated, angry, even disrespectful, we agree to be disagree, but none of us has ill wish for anyone of us.

So keep that spirit up and good luck to all candidates. TGIF.

@srk2017 Do you when this kid submit the AMC supplemental? We submitted on 12/21 and did not hear anything yet.

@newmmdd - After your date, I canā€™t say more than that.