Oh no! Not another generic Q!!! Plus...chances?

<p>DoI apply into the general campus then transfer into the business school, or l am directly placed into the business program. After I submitted my application, I started wondering about that (I specified marketing major at Madison campus). Also, if it's a system where you apply to the business school seprately, what are usually the grades I need to have a pretty good shot at getting in? Thanks!</p>

<p>Oh, and...chances? Please please please!!! Hahahah.</p>

<p>Academics
GPA weighted: 3.4
SAT: 1940</p>

<p>Troy High, Ranked by Newsweek #21 in the Nation, ranked #1 in AP Course Offerings in the World, #1 in the World in 2005 in AP Computer Science Department (so we have a bit of a rep, 96 of our seniors this year are going to UCLA as their safety schools, but I’m stupid…)</p>

<p>Previous classes</p>

<p>(7 classes total) freshman year: English One T/T, world history, algebra one, biology, business systems, physical education, drama</p>

<p>(7 classes total) Sophomore year: English Two Honors, human anatomy and physiology, JV track, AP European history, computer logic and algorithm/fundamentals of programming, geometry honors, Spanish one</p>

<p>(7 classes total) junior year: English Two T/T, chemistry, varsity track, AP US history, Spanish one (I’m bad at foreign language), accounting for business (first semester), IB business management, Algebra 2</p>

<p>(8 classes total) Senior year: British Lit T/T, AP Biology, AP Gov/ECON, Spanish 2, AP Psychology, Trig/Pre-Calc, Sociology, Internship</p>

<p>7 classes every year since my freshman year…
Now that we go the ugly out of the way…</p>

<p>My ECs…</p>

<p>+Wrote/publish the book “Run a High school Club to perfection” Sold/Distributed across Amazon, Lulu, over 300 schools in California, and over 10 affiliates now. (UPDATE! Scholastics.com is taking a look into it, and is considering distributing. It's a long shot though, but I can pray!)</p>

<p>+attendee of LEAD’s Summer Business Institute at Dartmouth </p>

<p>+Vice President of Marketing for Samaritan Services Corporation</p>

<p>+Over 150 hours internship at a Big Screen Movie Marketing/Design firm</p>

<ul>
<li>California-Nevada-Hawaii Key Club Oratory Contest, 1st place </li>
</ul>

<p>+Key Club Lieutenant Governor, In charge of 13 schools and over 1200 people, and directly operate with over $2 million and set up initiatives affecting over 35,000 students</p>

<ul>
<li>over 650 hours community service </li>
</ul>

<p>+Ran/Completed the Los Angeles Marathon (26.2 Miles) top 1/3 age percentile in time</p>

<p>+PTA Reflections Contest District Finalist—Poetry Category (Largest PTA District in Nation)</p>

<p>+Troy Video Yearbook (3 years) Currently DIRECTOR of Marketing</p>

<p>+Troy V.I.P. Program (4 years)</p>

<p>+Troy Tech Program/Troy IB Certificate/California Scholarship Federation Member/National Honors Society</p>

<p>So as you see…my ECs are pretty freaking good in my opinion (I think I have a combo with handling lots of real world stuff in Key Club/Business, leadership, oratory ability, and dedication in writing a book and running a marathon).</p>

<p>You will be a great addition to many colleges and I certainly hope you will get a chance to attend UW. Unfortunately, superb EC does not guarantee admission. Your biggest red flag will come from your transcript, specifically the downward trend and unweighted GPA (~2.9 right?). I assume that Troy High is not known for grade deflation. Adcom will likely question your ability to garner a competitive GPA during your first 2 years at Madison for later admission to business school. See Admissions</a> criteria for prospective high school students</p>

<p>But don't despair. Try to get some really great grades on your senior year. If you get the "postpone" decision, use the supplemental info to address the academic concern. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Cross posted with above.</p>

<p>UW cares about your UN-weighted gpa and test scores- see the freshman admissions expectations chart on the UW undergraduate admissions website-according to that if your gpa were unweighted your chances would be 55%, lesser gpa-35%. To further burst your bubble, your other stats look no more impressive. UW has been becoming increasingly competitive in recent years.</p>

<p>To answer your primary question- you apply to the university as a whole, regardless of which school you will enter. The Business School has a competitive admissions process for those completing the prebusiness courses. Putting down an intended major may help in getting an advisor in that field for SOAR, it will not affect your chances for admission.</p>

<p>You can check the current catalog online for all the info about getting into the Business School, including required prebusiness courses.</p>

<p>Yea, the bad news is the UW is very numbers-oriented... use the GPA/SAT charts as a guideline. But whatever school you get into, i'm sure you'll do great.</p>

<p>Does it help at all that my courseload is maxed out with 7 classes per year, plus my senior year i'm doing 7 classes + internship for a grade? It's not like i'm not trying, it's that I'm a masochist with courseload because i'm a real go-getter hhahaha.</p>

<p>A lot of students take a 7 class full load AND get A's in most of them. You need to concentrate on getting those A's this semester instead of fooling around on this website. YOU have to do the work, anything we say here will not change that. Remember you can transfer later if you don't get in as a freshman. Two things- more competition and all universities want to admit students they feel can succeed; ie handle the workload. Show you can by doing the work and getting the A's.</p>