Ohio State Class of 2025 Official Thread

Nothing as well

Does anyone know how housing works? Is it first com first served? how do the kids find roommates?

My kids let the university assign their roommates. They will get contact info. before move in so they can introduce themselves and coordinate. Housing contracts are sent out in the order that enrollment deposits were paid - but students donā€™t pick specific dorm rooms freshman year, they rank their preferences.

ā€œBe prepared to:
Read and understand the Terms and Conditions.
Read the Undergraduate Contract Addendum.
Access and complete your contract.
Select a dining plan.
Rank order your residence hall area of preference as well as Housing Rate preference. Use the interactive Campus Map to see the location of specific buildings, then click on Residence Halls for more details.
Select a learning community, if you are interested in living in specially designed group housing.
Make your online payment for space reservation and filing fees.ā€

https://housing.osu.edu/livingoncampus/

I added bolding to preferences ranked.

1 Like

As @BuckeyeMWDSG said, housing contracts are sent out in the order that enrollment deposits were paid. I had paid mine on December 12th 2020 ( I got admitted on the 11th) and received the housing contract say before yesterday, on March 13th.

However, I didnā€™t get to rank my preferences wrt. the dorms. I had to rank the campuses and rate of dorm I preferred, so Iā€™m a bit confused on that.

Correct, they let you choose your preferred area of campus and rate. Then they will assign the specific dorm and room number.

Itā€™s been a crazy ride this year. So many ups and downs! This thread and all you nice folks on it have been so kind and we may not know each other beyond some stats and state location and a major or two and shared dreams, but weā€™ve all been in it together. Sharing info, trying to help each other out with a kind word or two, and figuring why some things worked out and some didnā€™t. And through it all, the big bold beautiful Red O of OSU, used to thrill me each time I saw it. But itā€™s the end of the line on this thread for me as a parent, as my son has decided to go with our instate school, UIUC. Heā€™s ready to commit and be an Illini! But Iā€™m going to miss this thread. So hereā€™s to all the seniors who are going to start their future and may they all end up in the places so totally meant for them, and may they all come out on the other side rich with experiences and confidence and a kick ass job and prospects!!! All the best to everyone.

12 Likes

@Aksai108 Wishing your son the best of luck in his future endeavors!

No decisions have been released since Feb 19. Itā€™s my opinion that no decisions will be released before their stated date of March 26th. Iā€™m not sure why they say decisions are rolling when no rolling decisions have been released. Kind of cruel.

1 Like

I think you may be right. I only saw one person get off deffered on February 26 in this thread. My thought is full admissions team isnā€™t on the same page.

Is it safe to assume that they arenā€™t really rolling at all now? Currently trying to mentally prepare for all the coming decisions hahaha

1 Like

They might be waiting for students to turn down offers, which is going to happen a lot this year (since students applied to more colleges on average than ever before).

The only thing that is safe to assume is that you will have an answer by March 26th.

That answer may be wait-list.

1 Like

is the dorm rate split between roomates, or is it for each person

Rate is per person, you are responsible for the entire amount in your contract.

There are a few housing scholarships:

https://housing.osu.edu/learningcommunities/stadium-scholarship-program/

for ladies there is also the alumnae house

https://housing.osu.edu/learningcommunities/alumnae-scholarship-housing/

Confused about dining plans? My advice is to start with the Gray 10 - ā€œYou can change your plan through the second Friday after classes start each semester. You can also change your plan from semester to semester.ā€
https://dining.osu.edu/dining-plans/columbus-campus-dining-plans/

This youtuberā€™s explanation is very good on dining dollars, swipes, etc.

thankyou!

1 Like

Totally agree. Just called admissions and they are saying now no decisions for deferrals until March 26. They said the ā€œrollingā€ are usually the transfers and summer admittances.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a long wait for contract. My daughter just submitted her payment for acceptance. So she is anxious to start filling out contract. Will let her know it will be a while.

They didnā€™t start sending housing contracts until March, as it states on their admitted student next steps page, so you shouldnā€™t have to wait that long.

1 Like

Are they done announcing Morrill??? How much longer?