Ohio State vs Alabama

Hello, so I know I have a ton of time but I was just looking for opinions. I’ll Be going for pre-Med so both schools are fine even but I’ll put my pros and cons below:

Ohio State:
Pros:
-Closer to home (3 hours). I really want my extended family to be able to come to visit and come to football games.
-Higher ranked and better for what I want to study. I really like international studies and neuroscience. The IS major i like better at OSU and they also offer a major or minor in neuroscience.
-I like the snow.
-I LOvE the social scene and the city that is nearby.
-I really like the campus and the school spirit.
-i feel like my personality fits better here.
-I like that they have nice, traditional dorms

Cons:
-About $4,000 more a year than Alabama but my family can afford.
-The weather in Alabama is nice lol.
-I never had that “this is where I need to go feeling.”

Alabama
Pros:
-cheaper
-really nice campus
-Everyone is so nice
-I am in a group chat with people also potentially going to Bama next year and I already feel like I found friends whether or no they we stay together for four years.
-My mom loved it(not that this matters so much, she also really likes OSU but she can’t shut up about Bama)

Cons:
-far from home
-I don’t like that first year you can either pay a ton for really nice suites or go to crappy traditional styles.
-I know this shouldn’t keep me from going, but Greek life is massive and I think it would be fun to join but I think is no expensive and it seems like everyone wants to join.
-Not as highly regarded academically if i decide not to do medicine.
-Columbus>>>>Tuscaloosa.

I can see myself more at Ohio State but I am not necessarily saying that’s where I would rather go!

*Let me know if there isn’t something else I should consider. And please help!

I don’t even go to to Bama yet(hopefully will be there next fall), but I think OSU is the right choice. It’s on the Bama board so obviously people are gonna be somewhat biased. From what you wrote though it seems like your much more enthusiastic about OSU. You even said you felt like you can see yourself at Ohio State so I think you answered your own question.

You listed more pros for Ohio State. Sounds like it has more of what you’re looking for. I love Bama, and my daughter thrived there, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right choice for everyone.

My husband is physician and holds an OSU undergraduate degree. We live in Columbus. My daughter attends Alabama. Both are great schools.
OSU is the largest university in the US. I feel like it’s something most kids are not prepared for. It’s larger than most cities that the students come from. You do tend to get lost in the crowd at OSU.
Bama in my opinion has a much prettier campus & is more like a family group. The Greek system is much stronger at Bama . At Ohio State, it’s barely a blip on the radar. Off campus housing at Ohio state is pretty dismal and in highly dangerous neighborhoods. Many students are mugged or cars are broken into. On the up side, it is The Ohio State University. They do have an amazing medical school and premed program.They attract some of the best professors and physicians in the world.The sports are amazing and the tradition just as strong.
You need to decide what you are looking for. Smaller campus, greek system, easier to make friends, amazing campus, much better weather.
Larger, city like campus, not much greek, tough to make friends, large and kind of disconnected campus. Awful weather. Think ice and cold most days with sno
w mixed in. And sketchy off campus housing

@Tseips just curious, but why do you say is is much easier to make friends at bama? If youre Going Greek then I’m sure it is but if you don’t plan to, I would think they’re just the same. I would actually think easier at osu since they have traditional dorms. I am not saying you’re wrong I just didn’t think there was a difference.

Bama also has traditional dorms.
Tseips might mean that Bama is easier to make friends at because of the overall Southern culture of friendliness.
Alabama also has dozens of clubs and interest groups to join, which they promote with a big “Get On Board Day” where organizations table to hand out info, talk to students and invite them to join.
Ultimately it’s going to be up to the student to put themselves out there, talk to people, and make friends. That’s really hard for many kids. They’re used to being around the same people for 12, 8-, 4-years and have never had to do that. Some just sit in their rooms and play videogames, and then complain they don’t know anybody.

I’m Alabama born and bred and went to Bama for undergrad, and am currently attending Ohio State for graduate school.

I definitely prefer Ohio State and Columbus to UA and Tuscaloosa, mostly because I find the people in Columbus to be a lot more friendly, genuine, and authentic overall and I LOVE Columbus (it’s small enough where it feels like a home and can be quite, but big enough where there’s always something unique and interesting to do). Like seriously, i never want to leave!!!

As far as concrete differences between the universities, I feel like the only thing UA has over OSU is a nicer campus. To me, OSU has a lot more resources in place for a smoother college experience (I’d attend as many up front orientations to learn about them, if possible). I mean I moved to Columbus knowing nothing about Ohio, OSU, or anything and my transition was amazing thanks to the efforts and efficiency of OSU. I had to be in certain circles or research A LOT myself to learn about the same/similar resources at UA.

Idk why people are referring to Bama as “small.” No it’s not as big as Ohio State but it’s still a large institution that many people can get lost in if they don’t find their crowd early. I personally had no problem making and finding friends in undergrad, but I was from Bama and knew a couple of people there already. I also was in the honors college which is like it’s own little community there and really let me connect with some really amazing people at that school.

Greek Life is a MAJOR deal at Bama and a way to meet people, but it’s kind of like a double edged sword because often times when people aren’t accepted or aren’t accepted to the Frat or Srat they want, they can feel a little lost and left out. Also, it’s very time consuming. Let me reiterate that I don’t personally think Greek Life is the end all be all, and I think there are plenty of other clubs and things to get involved with. There’s even a club called the 49 (or something like that) that helps out of state students connect with each other.

Also, if you wanted some shadowing opportunities for pre-med (or really anything else) while in undergrad, you’d probably have a much better opportunity for that in Columbus vs. Tuscaloosa as there isn’t much there other than the University.

I could go on for hours about this subject, but I’ll stop now. Please respond if you have any more questions! :slight_smile:

A quick point of clarification. Greek life is a big part of Alabama but it is by no means the majority. I believe the actual numbers can be found somewhere on this forum but neither frat nor Sor are over 50%. If you want to pledge then it can be a great school but if you aren’t interested I wouldn’t want anyone to get the impression that you are giving up on a social life.

^^ True. Greek life wasn’t a major deal for my daughter. She didn’t join a sorority and wasn’t really impacted by the existence of sororities on campus. She never attended a Greek event, but had a satisfying social life and plenty of friends.

My advice for anyone attending who did not want to go Greek is to try and room w/ someone who also doesn’t plan on doing so.

Lots of posts, initially, on the FB pages about kids being alone a lot due to their dorm mates being gone so much due to rushing. I made DS change his initial dorm pick because the guys planned on going Greek.

It does pass, but I think so early in the semester it can make for a harder adjustment.

DS had his dorm mates became very good friends and hung out together. It was a great relief to me as he is very far from home and will be on campus for very long periods of time.

If academic prestige is of concern, go to Ohio State.

But one question that can usually answer questions like this is: do you see yourself living in a small city or a big city post-graduation?

If you answered big city, go to Ohio State.
Small city? Bama.

@eopjd9898 I want a big city for when I am younger. However, the goal is med school and ill honestly go anywhere for that because it will be hard to gain acceptance to one.

@soyunchico Then I would go to Ohio State if I were you. It’s more academically prestigious, better social experience unless you’re going to join a sorority/fraternity (even if you are, OSU’s Greek life isn’t bad), and Columbus is a big city and one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. Go Bucks!

Where you see yourself living post graduation is not relevant at all. Grads from small town colleges end up in big cities all the time. Urban school grads end up in small cities all the time.

I withdrew my deposit and enrollment from Bama anyway this post is irrelevant anymore

Best wishes for you!

@eopjd9898 Ohio State means nothing to med schools. It’s not considered “more prestigious” than Bama to med schools. Not at all.

@mom2collegekids thank you! I really respect your opinion and your posts had many convincing points for Bama but in the end it just didn’t work out. Thank you!