Ohio State vs UW Madison for business

Please help. I thought I wanted to go to Madison but I got deferred :frowning: . I got into OSU with money which would make it 20 k less than Madison. I am lucky I do not have to take loans either way but that doesn’t mean I want to waste 20k a year. I have visited Madison and really liked the setting (although Im not a fan of the extreme cold) and haven’t been to Ohio. Even though they are both big schools, Ohio just seems too big with 50k students. Any thoughts comparing the schools in general and specifically the business school. I will likely end up coming back east after. Thanks.

You need to get to Columbus. Depending where you are it’s not that far.

It’s big but so is Wisconsin. Not 50k big but we’ll over 30k big. Can one really tell the difference ?

OSU is not on a lake or in the city (city limits) and yes it’s big but that’s what you signed up for.

Both are solid schools. Any other choices?

Of the two, one you are into and one you aren’t (yet) and you don’t want to ‘waste’ $20k a year.

So I’m that sense you’ve answered your question.

Is there a specific discipline in business ?

But I’d validate OSU (visit) and have a fine four years with a year + of grad school or a housing down payment left over.

Good luck.

Thanks, hoping to go to Columbus soon. I’ve ruled out other schools I’ve got into. Waiting on Michigan (which I am not expecting to get in), Wisconsin and Lehigh, which is obviously a very different school. I do worry that OSU is somewhat less prestigious then the others but I am greatful to have gotten the scholarship.

OSU is no less prestigious than Lehigh (for business) or Wisconsin. It’s similar to Wisconsin. Very strong school.

If you don’t want to pay for Wisconsin then forget Michigan. That’s another 15 or 20k.

OSU is great. Don’t know your discipline but it’s an overall fine program in a growth city vs UW.

I think your life will be no different between the two. You are definitely selling OSU short. Honestly surprised you got merit there and deferred at UW. Shows you how goofy admissions is bcuz it’s not lesser.

1 Like

Thanks. Not sure what discipline in business yet. But good to hear that tOSU is not perceived as less prestigious. Yes, admissions are wacky. I’m also Legacy at wisconsin - my brother is there. I guess that is part of the appeal too, which is not quantifiable. I don’t mind paying extra for Wisconsin if it is a superior school, but not for no good reason.

My kid was deferred from Madison and got into OSU as well. She did not even think OSU was going to be at the top of the list, but now has visited twice and LOVES it ! Waiting to hear about Merit, but if she gets $ then she will probably enroll. Madison is not more prestigious in my mind and OSU has a great business school! If it makes you feel better, 71,000 kids applied to OSU this year and tons of students got deferred and rejected from Ohio as well. It’s just an issue of over enrollment from the last two years for all the schools. Feel good that you got $ from Ohio! Mine got into the scholars program and still not a dime! I wish you the best either way.

If you can afford it, then anywhere is ok. Is Wisconsin superior in pedigree ? You’d find arguments on both sides. Obviously going with your bro would be cool. If you get in great. Wisconsin is a fine school. But so is OSU. Rankings are overrated and when you get to these ‘tiers’ of schools it’s hard to distinguish most similar schools.

2 Likes

Great that your daughter liked it so much - hopefully she’ll get $ as well.

1 Like

Are you OOS for Ohio ? And did you apply
For the honors or scholars program ? May I ask how much you got and when ? Thanks !

Yes, I am OOS. No honors program - didnt apply for scholars. Got 2 different scholarships totaling 15.5k per year.

2 Likes

The scholarship letter came about a week ago.

1 Like

Take it ! Madison does not give that ! Go Visit OSU. My kid fell in love. Still has a couple schools to visit on the east coast, but I think wants to end up at Ohio.

We are in IL and it seems like everyone in IL has heard, so we are not having too much hope left.