Ohio University HTC

My daughter is considering applying to the Ohio University HTC program. I know it’s competitive do they take many out of state students? Can you apply for more than one major? She’s interested in both journalism and political science. I think she could achieve her goals with either major especially in this type of program.

I’m an Ohio University alum from the dark ages. I think your kid can do well there with or without the honors college.

The HTC is a pretty unique program. My D is an OU grad for both her ungrad and graduate program (DPT). She chose not to apply to HTC because it wasn’t the direction she wanted to go in to achieve her goals. The HTC program is quite self directed. If your student is self motivated and can be an active part of her academic direction it can be a great program. If she is an excellent student but prefers to have a program more mapped out the more traditional degree might be better. It is a fairly selective program as they tutors in the various fields only accept so many students each year. I think the HTC website will tell you how many. I was quite curious about the program and my D looked into it but this was 7 years ago. Good luck to your D and her future.

I think it would have been a great program for D23 who already was pretty sure of the direction he wanted to go and had already taken some advanced courses (including research) in his chosen major. Unfortunately, his major wasn’t one offered through HTC.

The one thing we were cautioned about when I asked a similar question was that should she decide to transfer, there could be issues with credits.

Absolutely. My guess is that if you’re considering HTC then your child probably has a compelling application. Throw this one into the mix. We did.