Okay, can someone tell me my chances?

<p>I plan to transfer to VTech, from NVCC. I'll have, I dunno, a 3.2 gpa? Thing is though, I WANT to major in Mech Engineering. However, I'm not gonna lie, at the moment I don't have exactly, the math chops? It's not that I'm not capable of learning it, just that in HS I wasn't very motivated and didn't pay attention in class, and so didn't learn what I was getting.</p>

<p>Now obviously I am paying attention (paying for school does that), and I'm actually trying to work harder on getting in. </p>

<p>I doubt I could get into the engineering school directly, but if I could just get in, would I be able to like, take more engineering based classes until then? I planned on Majoring in Business, but am wondering if that's the route to go because damn it seems common, but at the same time, I wonder if I could handle the math in engineering. (I'm confident until I see all the math wizzes in HS saying screw this, its too hard, then I get worried).</p>

<p>So yea, that's the situation with the grades, and my personal concerns on whether, practically, I could do it. I wonder if I could do Engineering at UVA, it's not at highly ranked as VTech's lol.</p>

<p>The thing is, there are so many resources available at VT to help you, if you are open to it. If you are serious about what you want (amazing how paying for it changes your perspective :)), then you can get plenty of tutoring help. They are practically begging to help people. I'm pretty sure that you take the beginning enge courses without going straight into calculus and discrete at the same time. Talk to the department and find out how to proceed.</p>

<p>That's good to know. I'm willing to spend a bit more time in school than others for an engineering degree. Working retail has made me determined to get a degree in something with definite job prospects.</p>

<p>Do you think I'd have a chance of getting in though? With a 3.0 gpa and a like, I dunno, 28 on the ACT?</p>

<p>it'll be real tough. Not impossible though, so i would give it a shot.</p>

<p>Never hurts to try. Make some contacts in the department and find out firsthand what you might need.</p>

<p>What's the best way to contact them? Like, email? I plan to take courses during the summer, is there anyway to have them be able to take that into consideration?</p>

<p>Oh boy, just sent some emails back and forth with undergraduate admissions. I have ZERO chance of admission, for the fall. My soonest chance would be in the spring. How many openings are their for spring, and since I don't wanna graduate at 25, does Vtech have a decent amount of classes avaliable for the summer?</p>