Okay I need your help with this gift!

<p>I graduate this year in May. To kind of give back to everyone who has helped me through high school, I’m writing a list of “50 people who impacted me during high school” and writing them a letter and giving them a t shirt and another personalized gift just for them. My parents don’t know about this, or else I would ask them (they’re being surprised too!) </p>

<p>So where I need you’re help is in the quote to put on the t shirt. The picture going on it is off a pink chair with a gown and cap on it, with pink heels laying at the foot of the chair. Underneath the picture I want to “quote” myself as saying something. </p>

<p>I want it to signify that I’m going to bama next year while including something to do with my personality (think girly anything, haha).</p>

<p>Some of the quotes I thought of were, </p>

<p>“Is the University of Alabama’s campus stiletto friendly?” (While most people know I’m smart and am NOT that girl, does this come off as kind of… sl utty?)</p>

<p>and</p>

<p>“Now all I need is Alabama and classy pair of heels.”</p>

<p>and</p>

<p>“Red’s not really my color. Do you think Alabama gear comes in pink?”</p>

<p>and</p>

<p>“How many pairs of shoes is it socially acceptable to bring to college?” </p>

<p>And not to do with Alabama,</p>

<p>“Why can’t these caps and gowns come in pink?” </p>

<p>Do any of these work? You guys have any suggestions? I’m completely doing this on my own, and I want to get it perfect before I drop $400 on t shirts and gifts. While I’ve worked really hard to get full tuition at Bama, I really want to give something back to everyone who has gotten me this far!</p>

<p>Realistically, they probably won’t wear the t-shirt but will keep it as a souvenir (and I am sure it will be hanging on the wall of at least one classroom). So with that in mind, you might want to be more direct with the reference to them and their help. Maybe:
I am going to move from pink to Crimson, thanks to you! Roll Tide!
I will try to think of some others, but am getting in the car to drive to Tuscaloosa now so won’t chime in until tonight.</p>

<p>“Team Maddsm” or “Team Maddsm 2013”. Make the “As” the Bama script A. I’d reduce your logo to a very small graduation cap if you keep it at all. And crimson would look much better than pink.</p>

<p>Maddsm, what a thoughtful thing to do. And just doing it is a “girly” thing (I have boys and they woudln’t have thought of doing something like this - or writing thank yous - in a million years.) I love all your quotes, but if you are going to give it to men too I think Class2012Mom is right, keep it simple (and Not pink). Like her logo ^^^^ above or even a simple “Thanks” or “Thank You” with the As as Bama Script. Whatever you do/say though, I am sure they will be blown away. Let us know what you decided.</p>

<p>What if I just did “Keep Calm and Roll Tide” ?</p>

<p>I love your idea and of course love the phrase “Keep Calm and ROLL TIDE”, however when you google this there are lots of products available for purchase with this phrase. I worry that if you were to print it on t-shirts there might be some copyright infringement (can you tell I’m married to a lawyer???). My daughter’s tennis team did a similar project their senior year and even though they were the only ones who would own and wear the shirts, it ended up they couldn’t wear them due to the copyright of the phrase. While I am sure that the dear people you would gift these to would not report you I just worry than an arbitrary stranger who see it might.</p>

<p>What is the mascot of your high school? </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>How about. “I’m one of the 50” and then maybe list all their names. Followed by “Rolltide”?</p>

<p>i don’t think you would have any trouble using keep calm and roll tide. the biggest infringement there would be the roll tide, but, as long as you are making something to give away and are not setting up shop to sell “roll tide” items, you will probably not run into any trouble.</p>

<p>using anything associated with the university would probably be infringement (including the alabama A).</p>

<p>What an awesome idea! </p>

<p>Did a quick look up on the "Keep Calm and… " copyright. It was first used in 1939 by the British, “Keep Calm and Carry On” in the form of posters to boost moral. Believed all were lost till a bookstore owner found several in a box. The bookstore owners decided not to copyright and leave the slogan free to all to use. Since then another person has tried to copyright the slogan and it was actually thrown out in one court. He is trying to get it copyrighted in the US and UK. It is still open to all for use and it appears unlikely that it will be granted. The whole British and 50 year rule, blah, blah, blah…</p>

<p>Love the Keep Calm and Roll Tide. Like using your HS mascot in some way. It could be “From Lions to Roll Tide. Thank you to all who helped pave the way”
Or some sketch of the builiding or identifying mark/building/symbol of your high school in the background with a path leading to Alabama. </p>

<p>I painted the Alabama “A” in the corner of D’s senior parking lot space at her high school. It will be gone next year when someone else has it.</p>

<p>Am I the only one thinking that this will be a major expense for the OP. It is truly thoughtful that she wants to show appreciation for all those special folks in her life. However, we are talking about a young adult, going off to college, who will certainly need all her savings. </p>

<p>Originally designed t-shirts (gee, fifty of them) and individual gifts will cost way too much. The letter she will be writing should simply be enough of a kind gesture. I am sure it will be remembered longer than the t-shirt. I know that most people who help or mentor students are not looking for anything more than a “thank you”.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t encourage this frivolous spending by my own student. It is not necessary for the OP to do this.</p>

<p>Maddsm: Please reconsider and save your money for college, I am sure your parents would agree. It certainly seems like you have a lot of people to be thankful for, you are already blessed. Go to college, do well and make them all proud. Let that be their gift!</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>i agree that just a letter would be fine. a short handwritten note to each person would be awesome! it would take a bit of time, but would be much cheaper.</p>

<p>If cost is a concern for you…but you want to add a little something to each note a suggestion might be the $1.00 ALABAMA Candy Bar
[2</a> oz. University of Alabama Milk Chocolate Money from Russell Stover Candies](<a href=“http://www.russellstover.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2979&itemType=PRODUCT]2”>http://www.russellstover.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2979&itemType=PRODUCT)
A message in your note about how the mutual “trust” and support you had from them has led you to BAMA…given the “In BAMA We Trust” on the candy bar might be nice …All in a pink envelope with a crimson A on it will hint it is from you.
Another idea - more pricey but nice if you just need one or a few, that our D did is…if you have someone at school, a business, or for friends for their bedroom or sports viewing area in their home who have the wall space and you know will put it up…which will bring more attention to BAMA is to give an Alabama pennant. D’s high school guidance counselor puts college pennants up in his office from what he calls his “high roller” students when they decide on their college. As an upstate NY guidance counselor he was very happy to receive his first ALABAMA pennant from her-his student who earned a full ride-combined academic/athletic scholarship to BAMA…and she was so happy he had advised her to “cast a wide net - apply to top privates to state schools both in and out of state” which assisted in leading her to BAMA!</p>

<p>I had the exact same candy bar thought, trvlbug. </p>

<p>I agree that the best gift will be OP’s letter of thanks. An alternative to the Bama Bar might be some Hershey’s Hugs and Kisses, presented in a themed container. Craft stores have oodles of inexpensive ideas. Think: A small white sack decorated with pink Alabama ‘A’s’, like that.</p>

<p>Love that you want to express your appreciation. </p>

<p>Roll Tide, maddsm!</p>

<p>i like nrdmom’s idea.</p>

<p>you could do a sack or bottle of hugs and kisses with a personal note in each. or you could make custom hershey bar wrappers.</p>

<p>You can make inexpensive photocards. A cute picture of you w/Bama shirt and motto on front with note inside. I’m sure they would be well received :)</p>