Olin College of Engineering vs Purdue for CS

If it is true that Olin is a perfect academic fit as well as being the only affordable school, it seems odd that the OP made this thread.

1 Like

There are lots of CC threads that I question why they were started, including a few I wrote. :rofl:

2 Likes

It sounds like your bank account made the decision really easy. There’s no CS degree worth $120,000 in loans. Take it from someone that programs for a living. CS is ridiculously employable, and after about 3 years experience, employers don’t even ask about where you went to college. “Starting salary” is a myth. When you graduate, you get an entry level salary based on the local market, no more, no less. In fact, the “lower starting salaries” are generally in areas where you have much more purchasing power and can afford a superior quality of life.

In other words, take the scholarship and run with it. You’re 30 year old self will thank you immensely.

5 Likes

If you’re looking for an Engineering degree, then paying an extra $160k for a CS program doesn’t seem to make sense.

2 Likes

Coming in late, but I have a senior at Olin who has majored in engineering with computing. Very positive experience academically, socially, and she has a great post-graduation job. I hope you pick it and love it there!

3 Likes

Another +1 for Olin.

3 Likes