On-Campus Dorms

Which ones are good for engineering students? I prefer quieter dorms. Any specific dorms to avoid? Money is kinda an issue, so I’m looking at the ramp dorms (walton and hart), are there any real downsides to them? Also, I’m an engineering honors student, so does that mean that I get assigned a dorm, or do I still get to choose? What about the LLC thing? I applied for engineering village commons, does that mean that I don’t have to go through the usual housing application choice thing? Also, what does the alternate list mean (I got placed on the alternate list)? Thanks a lot!

These sound like great questions to ask TAMU. Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum but if you really want to know the official answer call A&M. You don’t want to make a wrong decision on housing without facts. However, I believe moser is one of the halls many engineering students live.

Mosher is the best if you want to be in a community of engineers, any hall on southside in general is good for that. If you need cheap options though, Hart is a pretty solid bet, it’s closer to the Engineering buildings than Walton and more central on campus. As far as I know, Engineering honors students are not required to live in Mosher, which is where the Engineering Honors LLC is. An LLC is a Living Learning Community, and it’s basically just people with similar interest to you. Doesn’t cost any extra, and if you get accepted into a program I believe you are automatically placed in the hall. I believe being placed on an alternative list means you’re late in the housing processes and so you might get placed in temp housing, I would call to make sure though.

Also, as far are quiet dorms go I would say that (if you’re female) any all female halls tends to be on the quieter side. The quietness of the hall depends on the students living there each year, so it’s not something I could easily recommend. However, if you’re worried about quietness long term, and you still want to live on campus, I would consider looking at one of the apartments offered.

Also, there’s a new LLC called Spectrum, it’s for people who are Autistic and their allies, so it will be a very quiet community. If you consider yourself to be a good fit for this community, I would consider looking into it.