On #therealuw

So I checked out twitter last night, and found out that apparently UW has some serious racial problems? I am an Asian female muslim acepted to College of Engineering, and I’m seriously wondering whether it will be worth it to pursue my studies in this kind of environment. Madison was my first choice before coming across this hashtag. Perhaps other internationals or Wisconsin students/parents have a say on this?

Since I am a prospective student I can’t say I know. Your question may be better answered on the UWMadison reddit forum, there tends to be more students that are currently enrolled answering questions.

I’ve come across those tweets as well, and I’m concerned about the lack of diversity . Madison was my first choice too, but now I’m just confused.

Suggestion- check with the Muslim students UW organization for their experiences. They will have first hand experiences and should be willing to tell you realities. Plus you likely will want to join them.

Racial and ethnic diversity will be affected by the state’s population as this is a public U. Many students will come from hometowns and learn a lot about the rest of the world.

Madison WI and UW Madison are extremely TOLERANT. You can google it yourself. It is by far one of the most LIBERAL cities in the entire United States. I’m in state parent and read the news constantly. Have heard nothing about racism of any kind in Madison…quite the opposite (but have heard that about other UW system schools.) Ask around in established UW social/ethnic based groups before believing. Your concern might be valid based on some new events I am unaware of, but don’t count out a good school based without checking further. Admittedly OTHER areas of the state ARE very segregated and you might encounter racism.

@RedHerring97 - I think the suggestion to speak with students on campus provides the best opportunity for you to gather information to make an informed decision. Only you can decide your comfort level in a particular environment. Choosing a college is too important a decision to make on the basis of internet/social media feedback. Have you visited or will you visit the school?

What other schools are you considering?

There has been an increasing dialogue in the area of bias (race, sex, gender, religion, etc) over the past many months, with many universities engaged in similar debates/discussions. The issues facing UW Madison may not be substantially different than those facing many colleges/universities, or our country, at this juncture. These are important issues.

Best of luck to you as you navigate the decision process.

Hi, I’m currently a student who is also a minority- I’m just one person, but I’ll offer some of my thoughts, being a student of color here.

Racism definitely exists on this campus, there is no doubt about that, but it will exist regardless of where you go. Recently, there have been some bad incidents, but I do think the university is genuinely working to improve those things. There are also many student organizations dedicated to minority students that provide a safe space and support network, and there are frequent events dedicated to opening dialogue on race, sex, gender, LGBT+, religion, etc. In addition, there are have been more efforts by the student government on expanding cultural literacy for the campus as a whole.

I have personally had my status as a minority thrown at me rather disrespectfully before while in Madison, however this happened on State St (so not on campus or during class) and the students were strangers and most likely drunk. I think the vast majority of students are committed to tolerance and openmindedness- I attended a #BlackLivesMatter protest earlier this year with a pretty large turnout; it was very well organized and many people were very respectful. This is definitely a very liberal campus, but it is important to realize that UW Madion’s student demographic is pretty overwhelmingly white, and many of those white students came from areas in WI that are almost completely white as well, so there is room for ignorance (but also learning!).

All in all, I don’t think #therealuw incidents should completely dissuade you from considering Madison. I strongly believe every campus has to deal with these things, so it is not exclusive to Madison. I think it IS something you should be aware of before coming here though.

Personally, I don’t regret coming here at all. I have had a wonderful experience so far and have met an incredible set of friends. If you do choose to attend and you are worried about the racial climate, then I would strongly encourage you to join a diversity related student org (I believe there is a Muslim student organization) or participate in the many open dialogue events that various organizations host.

@RedHerring97 I don’t want to dissuade you or discourage you either because you will get a fine education at UW, but I agree with the other poster that you have to make your decision knowing that this is a PWI (predominantly white institution) where female, undergraduate, Muslim, international students are a tiny fraction of the total student population. If you have never lived in an environment where you are such a rarity, it may be somewhat of a shock or at least a little uncomfortable at first. There is a lot of alcohol consumption on campus – everywhere including Lakeshore – and in the city of Madison and it can be at the root of many unpleasant incidents. Many people who post here will tell you that you will find your niche, which means to stick with people who look like you and think like you. I don’t subscribe to that advice because it makes your world very small, and I think if you want to have the best experience, you have to get involved in many things outside of your comfort zone where people can get to know you on a personal level and where you can do the same towards others. A FIG and a Learning Community are just two ideas that come to mind, but there are many more. My son who is a freshman did both as well as joined several organizations, and is grateful for the diverse acquaintances and friends he made from deliberately reaching out to others. Good luck making your decision!

Finding your niche does not imply making one’s world small. It indicates that while being exposed to a much wider world there will be enough people with similar interests to not be a “lonely only”. The primary reason to go to college is academic. There is no reason to spend your time trying all sorts of things just because they exist. Not all students are “joiners” who want to be involved in many activities. There is room for those independent thinkers who do not follow the mainstream.

Think of Venn diagrams. There will be many overlapping circles for you. You will encounter many types of people- in your dorm, your classes and any activities you choose. Definitely contact the Muslim student organization. Your minority status will not only be religious but being a woman in a STEM field. Eons ago I was able to find several women in Chemistry. Now there are so many more women scientists around. Perhaps consider the Women in Science and Engineering Learning Community- it will be in Liz Waters, a fantastic dorm and location.

Midwesterners tend to be open and feel free to ask questions to satisfy their curiosity. See what others at UW say about friendliness. Make your choice mainly on the academic opportunities. Many incoming freshmen are naïve and leave with a much broader perspective than they arrived with. “Asian Muslim” perhaps Pakistani or Indian? There are some great restaurants and stores on the west side that will have South Asian comfort foods (H from India so familiar with that).

What is the “mainstream,” @wis75 ? Please do tell me. I didn’t realize that there was one mainstream at UW.

Oh, and you appear not to be aware of this, but FIGs and LCs both have a substantial academic component to them so no danger in being a “joiner” there. But, academics are not the only experience a student should have at UW, and certainly not a student who comes from half way across the continent, like my son, or half way around the globe as perhaps OP will be from. The Muslim students org is a place to visit and chill; it is not where anyone takes classes, eats all meals, sleeps, studies. In other words, the majority of a student’s time is spent in places that are physically apart from the niche you so adamantly propose and advocate for.

For @RedHerring97 – Specifically to your point, the advantage that Madison has over other locations (such as PSU or UMd or Purdue) is that the city itself is a liberal island of well-educated and open-minded people with a lot of activities that are extremely accessible. And, do not delude yourself that because this is a public university that the student body is less academically prepared than international students or others at other elite universities. You will be surprised, if not blown away, at the academic preparedness of many of your peers. As my son said, they may not know the difference between Ulaan Baator and Uttar Pradesh, but they sure as hell know their multivariable calculus and politics (and much, much more).

Hi! I know it’s totally out of topic. But reading Ulaan Baator, it makes me wonder if there are some international students from Mongolia?? Just asking if you have heard something:) @Leyland

@mnglohin Yes, there are!

And the Dali Lama makes regular visits.

I am an international student from India.

The amount of ignorance on campus is astounding. Since Wisconsin is such a white state, people have no experience with any diversity.

My experience has been stunted by people who asked me “How many goats do you have back home?” or “When does your arranged marriage happen?” and believe me, these were jokingly/condescendingly presented, not just out of curiosity.

There are also a big number of racist Trump supporters. Recently a “Top” fraternity on campus - Sigma Alpha Epsilon - got suspended for racism.

On my floor on Sellery, one of my jewish friend’s door was slandered by Swastikas. There is anti-semitism present too.

As an Asian, Muslim girl, be prepared to face such people.
I would recommend going to a University with more diversity. I would also recommend a private University; those seem to have less ignorant students in general.