One more...UCSD vs. UCI

<p>okay i was accepted to both and im having a really hard time deciding. i tried researching about both but still cannot decide!!! please help! i am mainly concerned about academics and cost which is why im having such trouble! this is like my list of major pros and cons for each school (may or may not be accurate in reality; its basically the perception i have from forums etc…)</p>

<p>first pros of sd: better bio program, supposedly better and more research opportunities, more prestigious</p>

<p>pros of irvine: rapidly growing uc, bio program not bad at all, waaay cheaper without the dorm costs, heard there is enough research and volunteer opportunities here</p>

<p>cons sd: cost would be a lot higher as i live close enough to irvine to commute.</p>

<p>cons irvine: not as prestigious or academically known as sd</p>

<p>If money is an issue, living close to UCI would help a lot since u won't have to dorm. Both are good schools, UCSD has more prestige. What is your major?</p>

<p>bio sci for irvine/ bio undeclared for sd</p>

<p>I have a friend over at UCI who is doing some research as a bio major so I know they do have opportunities. </p>

<p>Honestly it seems like UCI would be a better fit if prestige is the only matter here.</p>

<p>yea.....but i never really expected to get into a school like ucsd at all and not going there seems like a missed opportunity.....i ono....</p>

<p>what were your stats? just curious haha</p>

<p>3.7/2000 sat</p>

<p>any more opinions/advice????</p>

<p>it's almost as hard as to choose between ucsb and ucsd, however as far as i know, most students would choose ucsd over uci... i personally like uci over ucsd, just as i like ucsb over ucsd, but reputation of ucsd sounds like higher than uci and ucsb...</p>

<p>jmo, generally these recent years the students' priority looks like(for ucs) -- ucla > cal > ucsd >= ucsb > uci > ucd > ucsc > ucr > ucm -- yes ucla > cal recent years, and it could be ucsb > ucsd....</p>

<p>nah i think its more like (by student looks)</p>

<ol>
<li>Cal</li>
<li>LA</li>
<li>SD</li>
<li>D</li>
<li>SB</li>
<li>I</li>
<li>R</li>
<li>SC</li>
<li>M</li>
</ol>

<p>by student looks like physical attraction?</p>

<p>^^okay that was immature.
On a more serious note how important is dorming for your college life? If I went to UCI I wouldn't dorm because going there would be to save money basically. UCSD I'd be forced to dorm which would mean taking out more loans etc...so if the answer is very important to above question is it worth the student loans you would have to repay especially if you plan on grad school?</p>

<p>Do very well in Irvine and graduate with less debt. Personally, I'm choosing UCI over UCLA because it's cheaper and has less academic competition (you can get a higher GPA for grad school). Plus it's in a familiar area so there's less stress so you can focus on your studies. As for dorming, even though I live nearby, I'm still dorming the first couple semesters to make some friends.</p>

<p>This is all just personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt. In the end, it's all your decision. All I'm saying is don't choose only because of a school's prestige.</p>