One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I’ve read three books in the past six weeks - all were “good” but not great (at least IMO):

Sycamore, by Bryn Chancellor, about a teenage girl who disappears. Liked the characters, especially that teenage girl, but the writing sometimes got in the way.

Everything We Lost, by Valerie Geary, about a boy who believes in UFOs and alien abductions and who disappears - and the impact that disappearance has on his sister. Really liked the book until the ending - too ambiguous for me!

The Leavers, by Lisa Ko. My favorite of the three - about a mother who disappears! (I sense a theme in my recent reading habits…) Great characters, engrossing story about family and love.

I’m currently reading Charming Billy by Alice McDermott. A summary: Charming Billy, a novel by American author Alice McDermott, tells the story of Billy Lynch and his lifelong struggle with alcohol after the death of his first love.

It’s so simple and beautifully well-written and takes me back some decades to NYC. I’m really enjoying it. And it’s not as heavy as it sounds!

@writer1992, the topics of NYC (Brooklyn, though, not Queens) and drinking were treated well in A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill. Pretty intense in parts, but it was very engaging and written with a true love of the city. I enjoyed it, and was compelled to reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn after I finished A Drinking Life.

@mathmom, are you the other person who is a fan of K.M. Peyton?

That would be me! Love K.M. Peyton. Would love another Pennington/Ruth book.

Highly recommend My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent… some of the best nature writing in a while… and a plot that will keep you up nights because you can’t put down this novel. I’ve stayed up till 2 am two nights in a row.

Just finished “The Taking of the K-129” about a fascinating top secret US CIA project to raise a sunken Soviet submarine (nuclear weapon equipped) from 3 miles deep in 1974. For real, non-fiction. Excellent read, also would make a good gift – gave a copy to my dad for his 90th birthday a couple weeks ago.

Glass Houses, Louise Penny’s new Gamache book, came in at the library a few days ago. Excellent as always – maybe a little darker/more dire than others. Possibly because her husband died partway through the writing. As usual, I stayed up late reading it and wished I could skip work to find out what happened next.

I love this thread! I’m always on the lookout for an enjoyable read and I’ve found some great suggestions here! I have eclectic taste in books and enjoy many genres from literary classics to frothy beach reads. For those who like urban fantasy, I recently read Silence Fallen, the latest installment in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Strong female lead character, interesting fantasy world building, funny, and I don’t find the romance element overpowering. Silence Fallen is the tenth book in the series and so far I’ve liked every book. The series begins with Moon Called.

I really enjoyed that Mercy Thompson series up until about book 5 or 6 when I was totally over saturated by urban fantasy and stopped reading it. She is a good writer.

@TempeMom, yes I’m like that too. If I read too much fantasy or sci fi at a stretch I get tired of it.

Has anyone else read Sport of Kings by C. E. Morgan? I just finished it. I have strongly mixed feelings about it. Would love to talk about it.

For booklovers who enjoy reading memoirs by other booklovers, I highly recommend “My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues” by Pamela Paul, editor of the NYTimes Book Review section. It is engaging, personal, and full of reading suggestions. The author relates her book choices (over decades) to what was going on in her life – including romances, and how her list of books was a factor in her relationships. I particularly appreciated the section on sharing her love of books with her three children. Published just this year.

Just finished “Good Morning, Midnight” by Lily Brooks-Dalton. A stunning book – truly one of the best books I’ve read in years. Technically it is post-apocalyptic, but much of the time you barely notice that aspect of it. I wish she would write a sequel someday, but I suspect she will not.

Just finished “Giant of the Senate” by Al Franken. Definitely one the best books in 6 months or longer. As a bonus…I read it on audio and Franken narrates!

I bought the audio of Franken’s book for this Christmas for my son. Those who like historical novels may enjoy Moloka’i by Alan Brenert. Just finished on Kindle.

I’m about halfway through Giant of the Senate and also enjoying it.

I also recommend My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent. It turned out to be a very intense book that I truly couldn’t put down. The book was beautifully written. Just finished Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng which I enjoyed. I did think it was a little overrated.

“Moonglow” by Michael Chabon. I love it.

I just finished The Dry that someone on here recommended. I really enjoyed it. Great mystery! I also want to recommend Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. I couldn’t put it down. Historical fiction about stealing children and selling them out of a children’s home.