One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Looking thru it on Amazon I have read at least book 1. It isn’t “fresh” though. I don’t think I like the POV. Maybe I will go back and look…

LeVar Burton just read one of her short stories on his podcast. Some authors have a distinct “flavor” (you’d know it was them if you heard it). I think she is one of those.

@Consolation - I’m listening to the Rules of Civility and (at night before I drift off) I’m reading Ragtime. Both very well-written and happening at the same time! I laughed when the name Emma Goldman popped up in both.

Thanks to everyone here - I’m really enjoying this thread and have recommended it to others from the Theatre/Drama majors section…It’s a necessary distraction as the college decisions trickle in!

@Atreuh. Here from the MT/Drama threads, too! I’ve just started Rules of Civility and read Ragtime in the Fall when D was in the show! Loved it!

I want to thank those who recommended The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See.

I found it to be a source of very interesting insights into aspects of Chinese culture, tea, cross-cultural relations, international relations (and international economy), tea, adoption issues, and TEA!

I really really am craving tea.

I really enjoyed The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney. I thought her character development was brilliant. I felt like I really knew each person. It was amusing and awful and touching and sweet all at the same time.

^The CC bookclub had a good discussion of the book. I didn’t love it, but I was glad I read it. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1926584-east-of-eden-december-cc-book-club-selection-p1.html

I just finished Red Sparrow. I liked it. I don’t usually read this genre. For anyone put off by the movie adaptation, the book is very small percentage Sparrow School (sex and seduction school), very large percentage CIA v Russia spying & good characters.

I’m listening to Red Sparrow on Audible now at a friend’s recommendation. I’m really enjoying it!

@artskids Me too. I love Audible. The last few chapters? I couldn’t wait to get back to the book and find out what was going to happen next! The dog and I took some LONG walks, so I could keep listening! Enjoy!

Two weeks ago I read The Woman in the Window, author A.J. Finn. If you like twists like Girl on the Train and Gone Girl, I highly recommend this. Hard to put the book down! Plus, it is the author’s first book and movie rights secured.

@artskids and @Midwest67 - the 2nd book in the series, Palace of Treason pics up right where Red Sparrow ends. And there’s a 3rd & final. Haven’t read it yet. This is a case where the book is far & away better than movie. Actual character development. Yes, it’s fiction, but I think this author knows what goes on in Russia. =0

Thank you @Atreuh! I’m adding it to my queue now!

I just read a fun novel, Happiness for Humans by P. Z. Reizin. It’s about a writer hired to chat with a computer to help it sound more human. Rather timely, in fact, since it deals with the reach of the digital world into our daily lives.

Thank you for the recommendation for Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot.

I read The Woman in the Window. Enjoyed it.

Two Sisters. Sad. You really feel for the family of those girls.

Another thank you for the recommendation! Just finished Mystic River by Dennis Lehane.

@Mary13 The story-weaving and character development is so much better than The Dry, but I’m no expert on the genre. :slight_smile:

One of my recent favorites is The Leavers by Lisa Ko. One of the better and more heart breaking cross cultural stories read in a long while.

Thank you to whoever recommended The Women in the Castle. I loved it and thought it offered an interesting perspective on post WWII Germany, raising the issue of how a diverse nation wrestled with an atrocity on its conscience. Some had been nazis, some resistors, some had their head in the sand. And few people had an entirely clean conscience. How does a nation cope and rebuild?