One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

@skieurope why is the Random Questions one pinned then? I don’t care if the Books thread is unpinned since I had a chance to bookmark it. However, to just randomly take it away without warning doesn’t make sense, especially when users who do not want to see it are able to unpin it themselves.

1 Like

Warning. I unpinned that one too. :slight_smile:

How do I just post without replying to a specific person? I am really having a hard time figuring out this new format.

Click the blue reply button at the end of the thread.

Well I just replied to myself so here goes.

I have really enjoyed Tana French’s The Searchers. It’s a stand-alone plot (not part of the Dublin police force) set in Western Ireland. A slow burn and very atmospheric. She is a beautiful writer.

1 Like

Okay fine. Can you explain to me how to bookmark? For the life of me I can’t find that. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you @skieurope.

Press bookmark at the bottom of the thread.

Ah–been looking all over the top, and the main list. Thanks.

Please repin this thread, or at least give users the option to pin it (like we had yesterday). I don’t understand the sudden decision to unpin it after so many years.

2 Likes

What does “What is this bookmark for?” mean. It’s…a bookmark.

I just write “me.” I did not write the code. LOL.

1 Like

Thanks! :smile:

2 Likes

I will repin.

However, and this is fair warning, I am unpinning once bookmarks are imported from the old platform. So bookmark now.

This thread is not one that is a must read ( no pun intended) for the café, which IMO is the reason for pinning threads. There are other unpinned threads with higher usage. Nobody has provided a valid reason why this should be pinned. The only rationale seems to be comfort with the way things used to be. Personal preference is best served by bookmarks.

Just want to thank everyone for this thread. Due to a health issue, I was unable to read for a few years. I started reading this past year and of course books are a godsend during COVID. I just got 5 books out of the library based on recommendations here. I really appreciate the help choosing because, due to the health issue, I had stopped reading book reviews. I really appreciate the thread.

7 Likes

Finally got around to reading THE DUTCH HOUSE and I enjoyed it. There was good character development, and I definitely enjoyed it in part because I grew up near where it takes place so it was fun seeing so many familiar things mentioned.

I think it is the first book of hers that I read. I thought the relationship of the siblings was very well done.

Also finished THE VANISHING HALF which was excellent.

4 Likes

my sis is taking a tropical vacation to unwind from her crazy, 1%'er intense job; and I’d like to get her a great book to read. she really only likes bios or memoirs. any great ones in that area read lately? I have a few that I found looking through this thread. thanks for all of the ideas up to this point.

This was mentioned a couple thousand posts back, but in case you missed it, Born a Crime by Trevor Noah would seem to fit the bill.

3 Likes

Also Becoming Dutchess Goldblatt - recommended on this thread too and a wonderful non- fiction read plus Lyle Lovett makes a guest appearance - what is not to love :heart:

2 Likes