One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

The Giver of Stars was amazing. Also The Midnight Library.

3 Likes

I second The Midnight Library

1 Like

Oh, good. Midnight Library is on my hold list from our local library so I should be getting it soon.

(Yes - paper books from a library. My H calls me a Luddite but I canā€™t make the switch to eBooks. I love the feel of paper and seeing how far I am in the book.)

4 Likes

I am another one who enjoyed the Midnight Library. Also, another one who only likes to read paper.

2 Likes

Full disclosureā€“have never read an ebook. Luddites R Us!

5 Likes

I was like that too. Then one year ( about ten years ago) we were going on vacation. My spouse who carried the book bag filled with 10-20 books per trip presented me with a Kindle. I never looked back. Often when I read a paperback book know I find myself tapping the page to turn it :0

We have 6 Kindles right now. Weā€™ve had about ten over the years. I still like to buy books on occasion but the ease of being able to read a sample then immediately download it is great.

2 Likes

I have never read an ebook either.

I prefer paper books, but itā€™s very convenient to download the iPad with 6-8 books if I am traveling especially if I am flying and luggage space is limited.

1 Like

I didnā€™t used to read ebooks, but my DH traveled a lot and found it much easier to pack one ereader than several books. As he built up a library of ebooks, I found myself reading them more. I also find it much easier to borrow an ebook from the library, which disappears when it is due. I have become a convert!

1 Like

I just re-read Marge Piercyā€™s Gone to Soldiers, an epic WW2 books that follows a number of inter-related characters through the war. I still thought it was great, although not as much as I did so many years ago when I first read it (could definitely have used an edit). Got it from the library on my ereader!

I used to prefer a ā€œrealā€ book and really still do. However, I do see the benefits of having a Kindle, especially while traveling. Like others mentioned, much easier to just pack the Kindle than a stack of books. With the pandemic, my library was completely closed for a while, so being able to check books out via my Kindle was great. Then I realized how nice it is to be able to read in bed without having to keep the light on while my husband is trying to fall asleep. Though my library is now open for curbside pickup, I have mostly been reading on my Kindle. I have a long ā€œholdsā€ list though for actual books and usually keep books on a suspended hold until Iā€™m ready to read them (keeps my place in line). I messed up though and just last week had six books come in at once. Ack!

Iā€™m about 75% through The Cold Millions by Jess Walter (on my kindle!) and so far enjoying it, especially the historical context.

3 Likes

I finished Fortune and Glory yesterday and agree with being irritated. Books are still quite readable but I no longer like the main character.

Also Janet Evanovich is starting a spin off series with one a new character from the last book. Janet Evanovich Moves To Atria For Next Four Books In 8-Figure Deal ā€“ Deadline

1 Like

I just finished ā€œThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRueā€ by V.E. Schwab. Excellent book. Deals with the devil can have unintended consequences.

This was read in HB. Up until March 2020, most of what I read was HB or PB, then my library shut down due to Covid and I pretty much had to make the switch to EB. I donā€™t like buying EB because I canā€™t share them with others. I like the feel of a regular book and the way I can go back to a page (hmmm, somewhere in the middle, after theyā€¦) or flip through if I want to finish quickly, which i find is a lot harder to do with an EB.
Choice is a good thing.

5 Likes

Love the invisible life of addie larue - Schwab is a wonderful author!

2 Likes

Recently finished Jade City by Fonda Lee. Premise is that jade gives people powers to do magic and fight like kungfu warriors in a Hong Kong like setting with gang wars Ć  la The Godfather. Normally not exactly my cup of tea, but the characters grew on me and I found myself rooting for the bad guys over the badder guys. The world building is very nice, the characters develop in interesting ways, and I am curious to see where this planned trilogy will end up. (Book 2 is out already.)

How do you keep the power going? My ipad would die before I finished the flight.

Just want to mention that I know that Olive Kitteridge has been mentioned before many times, but Iā€™d never read it. I think I had an entirely different idea of what it would be, not basically, a collection of amazing short stories (I mean, I knew it was linked stories, but i was expecting something glibber, more sentimental, than it is). Iā€™m not quite done, but some of the stories have totally wrecked me! ā€œBasket of Tripsā€ makes me, as a writer, green with envy, and inspired at the same time. Amazing writing. So glad I finally picked it up!

5 Likes

And Olive, Again does not disappoint. Elizabeth Strout is an exquisite writer. Anything Is Possible is equally moving and well-crafted.

8 Likes

@Happytimes2001 - I have not had a problem with the power on my iPad, even flying to/from Europe. I do bring a paperback ā€œbackup readā€ though because I have a fear of being without reading material.

@Happytimes2001 I usually throw a portable battery charger in my bag in case of low batteriesā€¦like thisā€¦

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-20100/A1271012?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=anker_google_pla_us_1_a1271012-20&utm_term=anker_google_pla_us_1_a1271012-20&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=us_anker_conversion_alltime_shopping_smartshopping_purchase&utm_content=OldWeb&utm_term={10563425441}_{105187599835}_{448872884861}&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j41wb1J-K0DMFIFikRBjY31lZrmR41WHSiln_ZdKD23RFN3PXPGgjhoCvWwQAvD_BwE

3 Likes