One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

For those who have been reading (or rereading) classics, any suggestions for a book club?

I am in a new online zoom book club with friends, and next month it is my turn to add some options to our list. There have been mention that it would be fun to do a classic … maybe Pride and Prejudice to other.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a good classic and several members of my book club had never read it before. We also talked about reading one of Jane Austen books and then having a Zoom movie watch party too - as we are all bored with Covid restrictions :slight_smile: and happy to have any social interaction even over Zoom.

5 Likes

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is perennial. To me the relationship between Francie and her mother is the most vivid. Katie is not really very likable and she obviously favors her son over her daughter. But she keeps the family alive. The gender issues in the novel are interesting; the men are weak, the women, strong. Nothing survives if women are weak like men. That’s the message that Francie gets from her mother.

4 Likes

I think Jane Austen plus Bridgerton (TV or the Duke and I) would be pretty amusing. We did Pride and Prejudice on the CC book club and it wasn’t as interesting a discussion as I would have liked, not to mention there were people who just didn’t like it.

1 Like

We read “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” in my book club and everyone loved it.

5 Likes

How about Steinbeck’s East of Eden. I have been in several book groups where we read classics and frequently we were disappointed. East of Eden was an exception - everybody really enjoyed it. The other one was Gone With The Wind, again it was a surprise winner (even with those who know the movie well).

4 Likes

Same in my book club. I was surprised I had never read it before.

Our book club had a great discussion about The Slap, several years ago. Basic plot: a man disciplines another parent’s child.

While some of us didn’t love the book itself, it certainly inspired one of the best conversations we have ever had. This book club has been together for 10 years plus, and that book was memorable.

I absolutely loved Ruth Ozeki’s A Tale for the Time Being. We read that years ago too and it has stuck with me. I knew my daughter would enjoy it, and for years I suggested she read it. She finally did about six months ago and liked it so much that she also read My Year of Meats, which she said was good.

2 Likes

I second the East of Eden suggestion. We had a very good discussion of it with the CC Book Club.

1 Like

If you’re a science geek, anything by Sam Kean is fantastic. Disapearing Spoon, discusses the periodic table in a way that makes the stories compelling (he places seemingly unrelated elements in groups then goes on to explain how they are all related).

Currently reading Caesar’s Last Breath, about the make up of air and gases in general. The historical stories he tells are so much fun! He has a book about genetics and one about neuroscience that I am looking forward to reading.

Again, if you aren’t a science geek, please disregard!

2 Likes

I third East of Eden. It’s a book that has inspired so many conversations with other readers.

Another suggestion would be Maugham’s Of Human Bondage. I read it again for my IRL book club several years ago and remember the fantastic discussion that followed.

1 Like

Instead of Pride and Prejudice, I recommend that your group read Persuasion. It’s my favorite Austen, one that only gets better as you get older, IMHO. I would love to read The Age of Innocence with my book club, but most of the members are averse to classics. I think you could have a great discussion about class, social mores, and gender followed by a screening of the movie, which is exquisite.

5 Likes

Persuasion is my favorite Austen too. I’ve been meaning to reread Age of Innocence forever, I remember liking the book even though I loathed the English teacher I read it for.

2 Likes

Recently read the Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen. It’s a wonderful story about a double agent. What’s most interesting is how he frames the narrative of being an outsider. It is extremely well-written. The psychological profile of the narrator is truly one of the best ever. ( Trying not to be a spoiler). He also pinpoints what’s important about friendships, having enemies and family drama.

5 Likes

I loved Their Eyes Were Watching God

6 Likes

In the past couple of months, I’ve read two books by Ruth Ware, who is in some ways an heir to Ruth Rendell (although maybe not quite up there). However, I have enjoyed The Girl in Cabin 10 and In a Dark, Dark Wood. If you enjoy UK psychological suspense thrillers with unreliable narrators, you will enjoy these.

2 Likes

I am guessing many of you would enjoy The Girl with the Louding Voice. I found it an easy and absorbing read. I passed it to a friend and it has continued to make the rounds. I’ve been surprised by how many different types of folks have been drawn in by it.

I also found City of Girls to be quite fun.

Both would probably be good for a book group.

A Little Life seems to spark great conversation. I loved it but there were parts that were disturbing and difficult. But it stuck with me.

5 Likes

I just read the Female Persuasion and thought it was really great. It surely would be a hit with a book club.

5 Likes

My book club just read “Leave the Word Behind” by Rumaan Alman. Such a page turner/mystery with humor and social commentary built in!

6 Likes

I decided to commit to college reading group for faculty & staff this spring. We’re reading “Caste” by Isabel Wilkerson. Riveting, disturbing, thought provoking… Glad I am doing it, but I will be ready for something in the light & fluffy category when I finish this one.

7 Likes

@2VU0609 - “Caste” was excellent but like you I need to read something light after I read a book that makes me think deeply.

2 Likes