One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

First Louise Penny book is Still Life. Plots do continue from one book to the next, so reading them in order is preferable.

3 Likes

Just read The People We Keep by Alison Larkin for a book group and it was liked by everybody (does not happen often) - so I am recommending it here.

5 Likes

My grandparents emigrated to the US from a small Quebec farming village, and I grew up in a city whose population was mostly Quebecois immigrants or their descendants, so I can culturally relate to the citizens of Three PInes and Armand Gamache. For example, having both French and English in the same sentence is something I grew up hearing.

So for me the world of Louise Penny novels is quite nostalgic.

6 Likes

I’m a fan of mystery series and have been reading them for a long time. There are so many more now than when I first started reading them. Some of my all time favorites: Donna Leon’s Commissaro Guido Brunetti (Venice), Sara Paretsky’s VI Warshawski (Chicago), Michael Connolly’s Hieronmyous (Harry) Bosch (LA), Lee Child’s Jack Reacher (mostly CA), Robert Parker’s Spenser (Boston), Katherine Hall Page’s Faith Fairchild (Boston area and Maine) John Sanford’s Lucas Davenport Prey series (Minnesota mostly), Arnaldur Ingridason’s Inspector Erlendur (Reykjavik, Iceland). I also enjoy the Alex Cross series by James Patterson (DC). I don’t care for any of Patterson’s other mystery series. A number of these books/series have turned up as TV series or movies. The only one that I thought was true to the books was Bosch (Amazon Prime).

5 Likes

I mean the people/setting did sound interesting. I just didn’t connect with plot development or character development. It’s definitely me, not the book. Maybe I should try again.

I really really dislike the Louise Penny books so you are not alone. It’s rare I dislike a book that much. Wasn’t as bad as “Where The Crawdads Sing” which tops my very short most hated books list but the Louise Penny book I read just rubbed me the wrong way completely.

I’m a big British mystery and Tartan Noir fan. Love Ian Rankin’s Rebus books. I’ve really enjoyed Mick Heron’s “Slow Horses” books too (the TV show with Gary Oldman is excellent). Love Elly Griffith’s Ruth Galloway series and I like her magician series too. Denise Mina is a fab writer although sometimes her books get really dark. I have enjoyed “Robert Galbraith” aka J K Rowling’s Cormoran Strike series but thought the last one was sub par. The Rivers of London series is a fantasy mystery series (Harry Potter meets British procedural) by Ben Aaronovitch that is pretty fun.

I also like some American mystery books like Michael Connelly’s Bosch series. I don’t do James Patterson, etc. For complete fluff I’ve enjoyed “Cleo Cloyle’s” coffeehouse mysteries. They are not at all fine writing but super easy NYC cozies when I just need a break sometimes.

5 Likes

Currently reading “Hang The Moon” by Jeanette Walls and am really enjoying it (not a mystery). I read her biography/memoir of her growing up, “The Glass Castle” and thought it was very compelling. I also enjoyed her “true novel” “Half Broke Horses” the story of her grandmother’s life. As far as I know “Hang The Moon” is complete fiction.

2 Likes

One of my favorites.

John Sanford’s Lucas Davenport Prey series (Minnesota mostly)

One of my husband’s favorites.

2 Likes

OMG, I can’t believe that you mentioned Cleo Coyle and her Coffeehouse mysteries. I read one on our last cruise. Mind candy.

I have enjoyed Rhys Bowen’s “Her Royal Spyness” series. They are set in England and the heroine is 35th in line to the throne. Having lived in London for 3 years the books bring back some fond memories. Also, Susan Elia MacNeal’ “Maggie Hope Mysteries”. I just love being brought back to London in my mind.

3 Likes

Mind candy is a great description. Total fluff but enjoyable, especially if you like coffee and NYC. Also completely forgettable but I was looking through my history of books I’ve checked out from the library for mysteries and there it was.

I love British fiction. I read all kinds. Love London. It’s my favorite city in the world I think. Really hoping D22 gets the study abroad she wants there so I can go visit.

2 Likes

I totally get that. I’ll usually read a mystery and then I’ll follow it up with something more serious (literary fiction). Sometimes, I just need mind candy and I don’t do much TV.

4 Likes

I’m a huge fan of mystery series. Besides Louise Penny, I really liked the Fiona Griffiths series by Harry Bingham (I really hope there’s another one some day); Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear; Shetland series by Ann Cleeves; Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths; Duncan Kinkaid/Gemma James by Deborah Crombie.

I also really liked the three part series, Hester Thursby, by Edwin Hill. These take place in Boston and other parts of New England. The audiobooks were excellent for these, too. I wish there would be another but his other books have so far been unrelated.

1 Like

Mine too. And his Virgil Flowers series. His most recent books seem to have both.

Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon series is another of my faves

2 Likes

I agree! But I hope the new one that just came out changes up the formula a bit. I didn’t love the last one.

I read the first Louise Penny and was underwhelmed. I’m pretty picky about mystery series. The only one I read currently is the C. S. Harris Sebastian St. Cyr books. They are set in Regency England and I read them as more for the characters (big cast of regulars) and the setting always interesting with references to real historical events.

I have not read the Bosch books, but I love the TV series.

2 Likes

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. It is a historical novel about two women who meet in 1947. It’s based on real life events, and although I’m not a fan of historical books, this one is for sure one of the best I’ve ever read.

10 Likes

These are excellent and also great as audiobooks. I’ve been meaning to listen to the third for a while.

You might like to join the Book Club thread - discussion starts August 1.

5 Likes

Oh my goodness, I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and it’s a wowser. Really, really good story. I highly recommend it.

10 Likes

@VaBluebird - that’s my favorite Taylor Jenkins Reid book!

2 Likes