One parent moving to CA; Does out of state kid qualify for CA as 'resident' for admissions?

Hello All,

I am moving to CA from Seattle for job but my son and mother will stay back in Seattle as his school is good (IB Diploma Program) and it will too disruptive for him. When time comes for him to apply to one of USC colleges, will he qualify as a ‘resident’ or ‘non-resident’ based on my residency in CA? Clearly, he will not be resident until gets to CA for his college (provided he gets admitted)? Thanks for all your guides/suggestions.

You must establish your intent to make California your home one year prior to the residence determination date of the term for which you request resident status.

So no he will not be considered as resident.
Both parents (with child)must reside in ca one year prior to residency determination date.
If mother/son also moves to ca after high school then maybe you residence for tuition for sophomore year

1 Like

@Gumbymom is this true?

What is a USC college?

Based on the UCOP Residency determination, only 1 parent needs to make California their permanent home. You have to show documentation and need to reside in California for 366 days prior to the UC residency determination.

1. You have a parent who has a permanent address in California, but you live part- or full-time with a parent who lives in another state or country, or you attend boarding school in another state or country. If you can establish that a parent/guardian has a permanent address in California, than you may apply as a California resident.

https://www.ucop.edu/residency/residency-requirements.html

USC is a private University and not affiliated with the California UC’s. USC does not consider state of residency for tuition purposes.

1 Like

I think I I misstated. one parent can establish ca residency but must have physical presence for 366 days prior to residency determination date and must show intent (get ca DL, register to vote and pay CA income tax)
Residency is determined by parent not student.

For more info visit UC site for residency.

@fatherfromseattle what year in high school is your son? You might have plenty of time to establish your residency in CA depending on when your son graduates from HS and also when you move to CA.

1 Like

I assume this is a typo. California has two public university systems - UCs as in University of California and CSUs as in California State Universities. Just in case it wasn’t a typo, USC is a private school in Los Angeles.

2 Likes

Is the whole family moving?

Physical presence is a determining factor.

This may be the most difficult aspect. For example if you keep your house in Seattle and just rent an apartment in CA, it might well be the case that weekends and holidays are spent in Seattle. That could weigh against a finding of CA residency.

California certainly takes a similar view for tax purposes as far as residents working outside the state are concerned. In the case of a parent moving from CA to Seattle to work, without the rest of the family, it is all but impossible to avoid CA taxes unless you sell or rent out your CA house, and make Seattle your main home (or the parents are separated/divorced).

1 Like