One year transfer from community college

Hi! I got into four UC’s for Fall of 2023, SIR’d to UCSD, but doubted my decision all Summer. In August I decided to stay home and attempt one more time to get into UCLA by transferring from community college. I was waitlisted at UCLA and when waitlist closed I was crushed. One of the reasons I decided to try to transfer was that I had 32 community college units I took during high school (4.0), so I could transfer in a year and save a bunch of money. So here I am…Wondering how much of high school information to reuse on this app. For instance, I had 300 hours of volunteer work, and a very high gpa, etc. How much of this is going on my app (or do they even look at hs transcripts?). I have some extra curriculars from this semester at the CC, and I’m rewriting PIQs, but do they want to hear about those volunteer hours (that I continued this summer)? Will they look at my high school gpa? How much of my old PIQs can I incorporate? Thank you!

Are you planning to apply to UCLA again?

@Gumbymom any advice?

Yes! And UCSB and UCI…

As a transfer, the UC’s will not consider your HS record unless you are transferring as a lower division transfer (less than 60 semester/90 quarter units) which only a few UC’s will accept. UCLA, UCSB and UCI state you must be a Junior level transfer so your HS record will not be used for admission purposes.

The biggest issue with 1 year transfers is trying to complete the required transfer courses but with DE/AP/IB credit it is possible depending upon the intended major.

1 Like

By the end of Spring 2024, I will have completed my IGETC, AAT, and will have 63 units so they probably won’t be looking at high school transcripts. What about my volunteer hours or anything else I did in high school. Can I put it on my application? I mean, my first year of college was while I was in high school so I feel like I should.

You can list the information but again you will be considered a Junior level transfer so they are looking for what you have accomplished in college vs. HS.

1 Like

If you aren’t aware of it, you should participate in the UCLA TAP program which they say

allows you to enhance your ability to transfer to UCLA at the junior level from a participating California community college. Students are certified by the honors program counselor/coordinator after completing the honors or scholars program at a participating community college.

Applicants are given priority consideration for admission to majors in the College, as well as the following majors: public health, public affairs and education and social transformation.
https://admission.ucla.edu/apply/transfer/ucla-transfer-alliance-program

If you follow the links on the page some of the CC (such as Foothill) say that 70% or more of their TAP applicants are accepted to UCLA

Thank you for the helpful information…Sadly to get into TAP at my CC, you have to be in the honors program, and to be in the honors program you have to take 15 honors units and I am applying this November so I don’t have enough time to apply as a TAP/Honors student. I took too many non-honors classes during high school.

Why does it only have to be UCLA?
What happens if you are waitlisted again?

The competition for admission will be tough, with a new batch of incoming students who will be applying. You may want to consider attending your options of UCSB and UCI, if UCLA doesnt’ work out. Every year, they get more and more applications.
Good luck.

1 Like

For sure…If UCLA ditches me again, I’m done until maybe grad school. I was admitted to both UCI and UCSB as a freshman and will pick one of the two that accept me this time around. I was just so close to transferring which made the option more appealing. Acceptance for my major is 60% for transfer students, so without getting my hopes up I am 10% optimistic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.