Online classes

My daughter wants to take Arch 250 and Hlth 236 online in the Spring. She says the teachers are apparently good, classes are supposedly not too difficult. Anyone have experience taking these (or any) classes online vs traditional classroom? Trying to figure out pros/cons. Thanks.

Both are good classes that also count for the ICD requirement. I know the health class usually fills up quickly, so have a backup plan in case it’s full.

@peasec68 sadly there are soooo many courses that are now only offered online. Econ 202 for example, ISTM 209 etc. It’s crazy that TAMU is going towards this method of teaching. The pros and cons are different for each student. It’s a lot to keep up with and if the student isn’t good at checking emails, organizing and prioritizing, then they could struggle. Both my kids have done great in online courses but prefer an actual class setting.

Be careful taking online courses in summer. Many people have found that online classes in summer can be as much as a full semester because some classes have extra tuition tagged on besides the additional $40 per hour for all online courses and are subject to the same $1300-1800 in fees that everyone is assessed in fall that covers fall and spring.

Online courses taken in fall spring will also have the additional tuition added but the admin fees paid for the regular school year will not be additional.

Distance Education Differential Tuition is an additional charge for distance education courses and will range from a minimum of $40 per semester credit hour to a maximum of $550 per semester credit hour. This charge does not replace regular tuition. Each academic department will have an individual rate that will be approved annually by the President of Texas A&M University.

Scroll down on this page and it will show you what each class charges above the regular hour cost + the additional $40. Most are not in the UCC. https://sbs.tamu.edu/accounts-billing/tuition-fees/schedule/

For instance, Agricultural Economics is an additional $200 PER semester hour (above the regular cost per hour) for taking it online.