Only New York State Engineering Programs?

There are certain programs and financial aid for which my teen may be eligible if teen stays in New York State for college. Interested in Chemical Engineering. Am trying to find out more about some of the NY State colleges (both public & private) in which I am not as familiar and am looking to see if there are others that we should consider.

Of course we know about Cornell, Columbia, University of Rochester, University of Buffalo & SUNY Stonybrook. But there are others where there does not seem to be a ton of info: Clarkson University, Manhattan College, Syracuse, etc. I think we are leaning toward colleges that have engineering programs but are not primarily engineering colleges (For example RPI might not be what we are looking for) If that makes sense. Does anyone know about any of these schools’ engineering programs? Are there other NY State schools at which we should be looking?

Am trying to make a list, specifically, of NY State Schools. Thanks.

1 Like

Rochester Institute of Technology is an excellent engineering school with strong Co-op programs. Clarkson is a great smaller engineering school with a rural location.
Syracuse has a long established and strong engineering program.
SUNY ESF co-located with Syracuse has Chemical Engineering
SUNY Binghamton and SUNY Oswego both have engineering programs but not ChemE.

4 Likes

NYU (Tandon) may be worth considering if affordable.

3 Likes

I know there is TAP for low income but don’t know what else NY offers.

Here are the 20 ABET accredited for ChemE.

As you are close, you might look at top rated Delaware as well.

Good luck.

• Buffalo, University at, The State University of New York

Buffalo, New York, United States

Formerly State University of New York at Buffalo before Feb 1, 1998

• Clarkson University

Potsdam, New York, United States

• Columbia University in the City of New York

New York, New York, United States

• Cooper Union, The

• Cornell University

Ithaca, New York, United States

• Manhattan College

Riverdale, New York, United States

• Former Institution Name

New York at Buffalo, State University of

Buffalo, New York, United States

Renamed University at Buffalo, The State University of New York on Jan 31, 1998

New York at Stony Brook, State University of

Stony Brook, New York, United States

Renamed Stony Brook University on Dec 31, 2007

• New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, State University of

Syracuse, New York, United States

New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering

Brooklyn, New York, United States

Formerly Polytechnic Institute of New York University before Jan 23, 2014

Renamed New York University Tandon School of Engineering on Jul 25, 2016

• New York University Tandon School of Engineering

Formerly New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering before Jul 25, 2016

• New York, City College, City University of

Polytechnic Institute of New York University

Formerly Polytechnic University before Sep 4, 2008

Renamed New York University Tandon School of Engineering on Jan 23, 2014

Polytechnic University

Renamed New York University Tandon School of Engineering on Sep 3, 2008

• Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Troy, New York, United States

• Rochester Institute of Technology

Rochester, New York, United States

• Rochester, University of

Rochester, New York, United States

• Stony Brook University

Formerly State University of New York at Stony Brook before Jan 1, 2008

• Syracuse University

Syracuse, New York, United States

• United States Military Academy

West Point, New York, United States

4 Likes

my son is at U Rochester now. I know that’s on your list but happy to answer any questions I can. He chose for exactly the reason you mentioned- strong engineering but the rest of the school is varied- for diversity of friends and in case he wanted to bail on engineering.

4 Likes

Overall is he liking his experience there? May I ask what area of engineering he chose? Has he been able to get co-ops and the like? Does he feel the school has a good network as far as post degree job prospects? Also, do you know what they look for in a prospective engineering school candidate? Any input you can give is appreciated. Thank you so much.

I think if you’re at an ABET accredited school, you’re not going to have issue with employment, assuming the economy is good. Engineering is a major like that - most schools place well and companies hire by job vs. pay more for schools. Obviously there are exceptions.

Industry Practicum Co-op Program : Academics : Hajim School of Engineering & Applied Sciences : University of Rochester

3 Likes

I agree. Go with ABET and you’ll be fine. As a practicing engineer, I’ve learned that engineers are very practical and really couldn’t care less if you went to MIT or U Maine. In fact, they might prefer U Maine. It’s more important to get internships in colleges and good references. If a student is bright and works hard, he/she will be fine.

4 Likes

That’s good advice. So what should we be looking for in an engineering school as long as it is ABET accredited? Obviously cost is one thing. But what made you pick whatever school you chose?

Well, I chose UT-Austin because my dad was a professor in the engineering department, it was one of the top-ranked programs in the country, and tuition was $4/credit hour (not a typo). Of course, that was 1980!

My son visited a lot of schools and decided on UT because he talked to professors and students and knew he could work in the biomedical engineering lab starting as a freshman.

With my other kids, not engineering majors, they attended a couple of classes and talked to professors. They got the vibe of each school through tours and made their decisions that way.

I think cost is a big factor. An engineering student certainly shouldn’t take on extra debt for a school “name.” It’s not worth it.

3 Likes

I think it’s major dependent - not all majors require ABET. My son was MechE - I assume it’s needed for ChemE given the # of schools that have ABET but can’t say for sure.

My son got into Purdue, UMD, UF and others but chose Alabama and works with kids from Purdue as an example and had 6 offers, 5 by Xmas. So the where is really, for the most part, overstated.

Why only NY - is it cost? Or you want them close to home?

For ChemE, U Delaware is top rated and has merit and is close to NY.

2 Likes

IMO of the ABET schools affordability should be the first criterion. If a college makes it possible for your child to graduate with no/minimal debt with no hardship to the family that is huge.

After that, I’d go with the student’s preference – what type of college is desired (ex. size, location, Greek Life, big time sports etc.).

2 Likes

There are some very generous private schools that can beat state universities on net price, even with good state aid for low and middle income families.

For example, a typical family earning less than $75,000 could qualify for “Full Tuition, Fees, Room & Board” at Rice and for those under $140,000 “Full Tuition”

1 Like

I am not really opposed to Teen going outside of NY as long as it’s not too far. We started our college list kind of haphazardly. We researched colleges out of state first (I’ve never gone through this process with a child and the friend who is helping us is from out of state and is more familiar with engineering schools outside of our state). Then I learned about a specific program for NY residents from my spouse (who heard about it from one of the delivery persons). This sent me down a rabbit hole where I learned of a few more programs. I then realized that we really didn’t fully look into schools in our own state, not even the state colleges. So I am trying to rectify that now. :slightly_smiling_face:

I see - is it TAP for low income you learned about?

So distance is a concern. For example, if you could go for cheaper but a 5 hour plane ride away, that doesn’t work for you?

What is the student’s statistics? What is the budget. A school like Rochester and Columbia, would for example, meet demonstrated financial need. Syracuse might but doesn’t promise to, etc.

Other schools provide scholarships based on academic qualifications.

Well lots of choices in NY, adjacent states if you want to be close and Delaware is top 5 ChemE - think of all the chemical companies in Delaware.

Good luck.

The program that the delivery person told spouse about that sent me down the rabbit hole was one that covered tuition at in-state public colleges. But it led to the discovery of few other programs that could defray the cost of college in-state.

5 hour plane ride is too far for my liking. 5 hour car ride is fine.

1 Like

“An annual TAP award can be up to $5,665.”

https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/nys-tap.html

"TAP awards range from $500 to $5,665 per year. The award amount is determined by:

• Academic year in which first payment of TAP or any state award is received
  • Type of postsecondary institution and the tuition charge
  • Combined family NYS taxable income, Federal, State or local pension income and private pension and annuity income, if applicable
  • Financial status (dependent or independent)
  • Other family members enrolled in college"

https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/grants/estimate-your-tap-award.html

For more info on Manhattan College, these are a few posts that might be helpful:

Look at posts #7, 60, and 73 in this thread: Please chance me for engineering, good stats but not the greatest courseload - #7 by Bill_Marsh

Look at posts #2 & 16 in this thread: Undergraduate Civil Engineering programs Vilanova, Catholic U, TCNJ, Rowan or Stevens? - #2 by Bill_Marsh

2 Likes

Will do. Thank you.

1 Like

Alfred University is another one to have on radar. It’s a private university, but its College of Ceramics is a public-private partnership and has an ABET accredited majors in Materials Science & Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, and Glass Engineering, plus a non-ABET major and minor in Biomaterials Engineering. In Alfred’s School of Engineering, there’s also an ABET-accredited Renewable Energy Engineering program.

Binghamton seems to fit what you’re looking for, in terms of having a strong but relatively small engineering school, within a larger university. They don’t have a ChemE degree but do have Materials Science & Engineering.

So, what draws your kid to ChemE? If it’s “I like chemistry and want an adjacent engineering field” then Materials may appeal as well (which as you can see opens up different campus options). But if they have particular applications of a ChemE degree in mind, that would be specific to ChemE rather than Materials, then they should rule out schools that don’t have the major they want.

Alfred U (private except for the College of Ceramics partnership) is not to be confused with nearby Afred State (public) which leans more toward Engineering Technology degrees.

2 Likes