OOS Chances for UCs

<p>What are my chances for: </p>

<p>UCSB
UCSD
Maybe LA, Berkeley </p>

<p>Will apply for class of 2014 </p>

<p>I am from Oklahoma
-Native American ( i think it doesnt help at UCs?)

• 28 act, may improve
    -3.7ish cumulative GPA, 4.3ish weighted
    -4 year varsity tennis captain, Stuco State President, Stuco Camp Workshop Leader, Stuco Secretary/President, National Student Council Delegate, NHS, Honor Rolls, a few more basic things</p>

<p>Dont know UC GPA- sophomore year had an AP and 3 Pre-AP, Junior year have 4 AP and one Pre-AP </p>

<p>Thanks All</p>

<p>UCLA & Cal are reaches. SB is a low match, SD is a match. Yes, Native American will not help at any UC. </p>

<p>IMO, at $45k (and about to increase) the UCs are not a good value for OOS students -- finaid is poor even for instate kids. Given your URM status & for that kinda money, consider good privates.</p>

<p>Yeah...we actually are lucky enough to be able to pay in state after a year (have confirmed this with UC, kind of a special cirumstance), but i did the financial aid calculator on the website and got $0. I just dont know if it is worth it, even with the in state after a while..</p>

<p>thanks bluebayou</p>

<p>instate rates after one year...hmmm, changes my recommendation.</p>

<p>yeah try to improve ur act...
dont forget to take subject tests...
as of now i think: reach for cal, slight reach la, match ucsd, 99.9% ur in sb</p>

<p>I would say the upper UCs would be little more of slight reaches only because of your OOS. </p>

<p>Other than that you should probably get into UCSB</p>

<p>peabeeandjay mentioned the subject tests, also remember to take a VPA - a lot of OOS applicants forget that one. And - as OOS, only your AP classes will be weighted for UC GPA- not your honors or pre-AP classes.</p>

<p>Thank you tocollege- what is VPA? I have been researching applying to these schools, i am probably just unsure about your abbreviation! thank you all!</p>

<p>VPA is the sneaky requirement who's main purpose seems to be to cause stress to OOS applicants!</p>

<p>It stands for "Visual and Performing Arts." It includes things like Intro to Ceramics, Intro to Piano, Chorus, Band, Drawing, etc. You need a full year course to fufill the requirement. </p>

<p>Here are the A-G requirements for UC: <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/subject_reqs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/subject_reqs.html&lt;/a>
Because you are applying to the more selective UCs, you should use the "recommended" number of courses instead of the "required."</p>

<p>Okay.. Well I have taken by definition an arts appreciation/history/basic drawing class..im sure that would count ( i hope at leasT)...So with that and only 2 years of a language ( something that my counselor will talk about, scheduling conflict)..what are chances at UCSD( top choice of the few) SB, La and maybe B. Doubt B though! thanks so much everyone</p>

<p>If your UC GPA is about 4.0 or less then probably a slight reach for UCSD, reach for UCLA/UCB and match for UCSB.. again OOS</p>

<p>Honestly its not worth the money to go to a UC from OOS. You'll be paying close to 30k tuition for large classes and decent reputation.</p>

<p>UCB/UCLA: reach
UCSD: match
others:low-match (OOS)</p>

<p>Good luck, and Oop is wrong -- UCs are great public schools, all worth it.</p>

<p>Dont go to a UC from OOS unless its UCB or UCLA</p>

<p>Oop: first of all, you're incorrect. You don't attend a UC, and are hardly in a position to make that call. All the UCs are excellent schools, and all in the top 50 nationwide schools except for one or two.</p>

<p>To the OP, I recommend applying to them anyway, worst thing is they don't accept you. Best thing -- you get in!</p>

<p>Yeaaah.. Lets pay 45 grand to go to UCSB??? Nooo.. Go private. NYU, Vanderbilt, Duke...</p>