(OOS) Chances of Admission?

Howdy. I’ve been following this thread for a few months now, but I feel like I should make a thread that concerns admissions chances for people on what is academically typically considered to be the lower bar.

Here are my stats:

Applied: Out of State (California), College Station
–Date: 11/30 (Regular Decision)
Majors: Aerospace Engineering / Political Science
Class Rank: Top 39% (school ranked in the Top 1000 in the US with around 3,000 people, highest ranked in the School District)
Ethnicity: Filipino
GPA (out of 4): 3.55 W
SAT: 1140 / ACT: 24
AP/IB Tests:
World (4), US History (5), Physics 1 (3)
AP/IB Classes:
AP World, IB HL History (2 years), IB HL Physics (2 years)
Three Essays: Definitely

EC’s:
4 Years JROTC (Sr. Year: Drill Team, Color Guard Commander)
– Sr. Year: Team won top 5 and Judge’s Pick
2 Years Marching Band/Concert Band
1 Year JV Wrestling
1 Year California Scholastic Federation
Poll Worker for 2016 Election
Video Game Club
Completed 5 hours of Flight Simulator Ground School

Other Notes:
Made an accidental mistake on the Extracurriculars Section of the ApplyTexas Application. Mixed up two clubs. Contacted the Admissions and they told me to submit an updated resume. Did that.

Hopefully, I make at least BlinnTEAM or Engineering Academy, I really want to get out of California.

Gig’em.

Unfortunately, I think you are facing an up hill battle with those stats as an OOS applicant. I do not know if Blinn is offered to many OOS students really, it might be possible to receive an offer for Galveston. I wish you luck and hope you find a place in the A&M family. Have you given any thought to applying directly to Tarleton State or Blinn and transferring to CS?

I haven’t really looked into doing such a thing yet. If I’m looking at an option like that I would look at Blinn, but I’m too unfamiliar with the options of transferring when one solely applies to Blinn or Tarleton State.

We admire you for your efforts, as you clearly show good initiative in taking advanced classes and in your extracurriculars. Likewise, it is excellent that you started this OOS thread to get some advice from long term observers. I have a very strong sense that you and many OOS review applicants are still waiting.
Are you looking for a long term pathway into A&M, or getting someplace in Texas, or ?

Saying more about these sorts of things may help you get best advice.
Are you looking for ROTC?

You GPA and your test scores really don’t line up with your curriculum. Did you drop the IBD? Why engineering? What is your math score on your ACT? What is your highest math class?

Can you afford OOS full pay for ANY texas school? I would have thought you would be more of a CCC candidate. Engineering almost anywhere is a challenge. Your stats are not engineering friendly as they stand.

I am looking for whatever pathway I could get into A&M, the most realistic within my family’s finances. We know for a fact that it will be problematic to attend JuCo in CA; tuition is expected to go up an awful lot. So at this point, it’ll be difficult to find solutions for Out-of-State, long-term solutions for A&M, unless I can be explained on the most recommended plan of action.

@Sybylla I am taking IB Courses for Course Credit. As for AP Physics and US history, I took those two tests through preparation classes during my Junior Year in IB History and Physics.

My Highest Math Class right now is PreCalculus, and my Math Score on the SAT is 590 (ACT is 26).

How much do you think A&M will cost you? If CCC is a problem, OOS is out of the question. A&M is out of range based on stats, you need to focus on actual options for when you finish high school

@Sybylla A&M will cost a lot, however, I’m planning on walking-on for an ROTC Scholarship if I do get admitted.

Make sure you have your instate plans lined up. Does ROTC mean engineering drops it entry standards at A&M? I doubt that.

Jave you been in contact with anyone from the Corp of Cadets yet?

I wonder whether a trained A&M regional advisor could help. Engineering test scores tend to be right up there with business major scores, pretty high. If you are interested in engineering, we have talked a lot abut the A&M engineering academies at Blinn Brenham and some other two-year schools around the state. Tuition at these vary with the particular 2-year school involved, but you could transfer into A&M with good enough grades. You have to have at least a decent math score. Would you be interested and able to do this if your math score could qualify?

@labegg Yes, I talked with the Recruiter for the Air Force ROTC there. He said that a lot of the ROTC Scholarships that are awarded aren’t really during High School, but mostly during the Freshman Year of college. If I work hard in College, he said I could have a good chance at getting a walk-on Scholarship.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg If I could transfer after the first semester at a JuCo in TX with one of these programs, then I may show interest.

Could you do this with your freshman year at a 2-year school? I am concerned about tuition cost based on what you have shared about finances.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg I believe so. I just have to find a school, within the A&M System, that isn’t an arm-and-a-leg to the family finances.

For reference, my EFC on the FAFSA is 000000.

We have talked about Tarleton on this forum. As one poster indicated, Tarleton has reintroduced its form of the Corps, has a strong military tradition, has engineering among other things, and does send transfer students to A&M. It is an A&M system school in Stephenville.

I would suggest looking into this as a possible back up to your main plan, ok?

Also look into one of the Engineering Academies perhaps. I am in state and simply don’t have all the answers you would need.