OOS Merit & Need-based aid at UW?

<p>I've been looking to find out what kind of merit and need based aid UW-Madison typically would give a good OOS student with a low EFC. If all goes as S is planning he will be Val, have very high test scores, plays two varsity sports, and has several other ECs. His strong major interest right now is math.</p>

<p>Does UW ever waive OOS tuition for good students? Can anyone give me a feel for this?</p>

<p>Is he an URM?</p>

<p>Unless he is an URM don’t assume any merit aid to start. Most such aid comes later based on performance at UW.</p>

<p>There is the Banner program for low income OOS Students. I do not know how low income you have to be. you can see it Financial Aide…Other types of assistance.</p>

<p>He must not be URM because I don’t even know what that means! Please define!</p>

<p>Basically minority student. At UW that means black, hispanic, native american and some southeast asians (not China, Korea,Japan).</p>

<p>[UW-Madison</a> Office of Student Financial Aid : BANNER (Badger Aid for Non-Residents)](<a href=“Office of Student Financial Aid – UW–Madison”>Office of Student Financial Aid – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>Sometimes URM is also…low-income,first generation ollege student</p>

<p>URM, UnderRepresented Minority</p>

<p>Good point KJ-forgot that one.</p>

<p>Do not count on OOS merit scholarship/merit money. Do check on available scholarships from your local UW alumni group- there are UW alumni all over the country- check on the alumni site of the UW website.</p>

<p>Very much agree with Wis75. Haven’t heard of any OOS students getting a tuition waiver unless URM or other special classification. Our S - now a junior in engineering at UW - had similar stats (high test scores, high GPA, National AP Scholar, good EC’s, two-time all state in sports) and received no merit aid. However, after his freshmen year, he did receive several nice scholarships through the engineering department. My guess is that other UW departments would be similar. Good luck!</p>

<p>There is BANNER, I believe Madison85 posted a link for that. I’m in FasTrack which is the same program but for Wisconsin residents. It’s an extremely nice program which guarantees full COA for four years, very limited loans, mostly grants. I’m not sure exactly how poor you need to be in order to get it, however, and how that varies between BANNER and FasTrack. My EFC is only like $300 lol so I’m not sure what the cutoff is.</p>