OOS received 1K Scholaraship - Out of Luck?

DS accepted engineering, very good stats.
Received only 1K scholarship toward in-state status.
Received 5K maroon scholarship - it strictly states not allowed to be used to get the 4K needed for in-state tuition.
Cost would be 45K plus.
School took local students out to dinner in fall - I warned son it was to get OOS students to pay full freight. He is very disappointed as it appears I am correct.
Is this how it usually ends up for OOS students?

@artist2233 yes and no. It’s very hard to get any merit scholarships at tamu, even for instate kiddos.

they shouldn’t “wine and dine” the kids, and tell them they can get in-state tuition when there is no intention.
I told him at least you got a steak dinner out of it.

Define the wine and dine? Who provided that LOL?

held a TAMU recruiting evening at a local restaurant. TAMU picked up the tab.
I will say, no other college even did that - they hold these things in a local hotel conference room and don’t even offer a cookie!

What are your kid’s stats? he is not NMSF/F? No Brockman or Brown scholarship invite?

From my experience, (the way they treat students/parents) tamu has been more like a private institute. As for the event mentioned, it’s quite a common practice for private institutes. A few around us invited our son and parents to fancy local steak houses. Baylor is the one that does more than most. Their Invitation to Excellence is very well planned. Attendees get an additional 2k scholarship and a chance to compete for full ride.

In any case, don’t expect much merit scholarship from tamu (even for in state). They, however, have a few very generous scholarship for those extremely high achievers.

Ahh, I see, this isn’t an invite, a cattle call with a free lunch. I thought OP mean he had been personally invited to dinner and told he would get instate tuition.

So Texas is now only behind California in population. Texas has 2 desirable publics compared to how many such UCs? OOS admits will be for the money. I won’t be surprised to see TAMU adjust their NMF scholarships pretty soon. The yield indicates that TAMU will admit OOS kids that don’t matriculate. The DARS data cites the OOS tution waivers as maybe 3.5% last year? That would probably be mostly NMFs and maybe some non academic admits.

People still say they can get instate tuition if they buy their kid a property. That thing hasn’t quite died so there is that.