OOS Scholarships

<p>Can anyone give any information about the likelihood of getting the big OOS merit scholarships? The website says a 32 ACT and high GPA are required for the top amount, but is there anything else that would help my chances of getting this scholarship? Thanks in advance</p>

<p>If you have the score and GPA, it’s automatic. All you have to do is fill out the scholarship application. It asks about extracurriculars and such, but it’s just a formality.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That’s right…nothing else is required except that you must apply before Dec 1st. So, get your apps in now (school app, and then a couple days later submit the scholarship app after you get the follow up email).</p>

<p>The Presidential full tuition scholarship is assured for stats. If you have the stats and meet the deadline, you’re good.</p>

<p>Will you be applying for Fall 2013?</p>

<p>The website says the Presidential Scholarship will pay for tuition, but for room and board, we need to get the Academic Elite Scholarship. Any idea on what they look for on this scholarship?</p>

<p>This is the information included an OOS recruitment brochure for the 2013-2014 academic school year:</p>

<p>“Students who have a 32-36 ACT (English, math, social sciences, and natural sciences) or 1400-1600 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.8 cumulative GPA will be considered for this competitive scholarship package. Students selected will receive the following: $8,500 per year for four years, Value of tuition for four years, iPad.”</p>

<p>This brochure is specifically for OOS students who will enter next fall (2013-2014 academic year) and includes the change to the NMF scholarship. Please note the words “considered” and “competitive”. I believe this usually goes to a UFE participant, but it doesn’t say that in the brochure…I could be mistaken. I was excited to receive a copy of the brochure since my D is in it.:)</p>

<p>*There are typically eight to ten of these scholarships offered each year. The pool of eligible applicants ranges from 900 to 1,000 students.</p>

<p>Academic Elite Scholarship recipients typically receive:</p>

<p>$8,500 per year for 4 years
The value of tuition in-state or out-of-state for 4 years
iPad
To be considered for the Academic Elite Scholarships, a student must be accepted as a member of the University Fellows Experience. The student must maintain membership in the UFE to continue holding an Academic Elite Scholarship. Complete information on the UFE can be found on the University Fellows website.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>To be considered for Academic Elite, you must first be accepted to University Fellows Experience. Of the about 30 UFE freshmen students, about 8 will get the Academic Elite.</p>

<p>Oh, didn’t realize you were asking about Academic Elite. Yeah, that one is super competitive. I really couldn’t venture to say how they choose just 8 out of the outstanding UFE students to get it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. He has the stats to get into UFE. Just wondered what else they looked at</p>

<p>Galaxy…it’s hard to know. Once I asked and was told that they don’t like people asking because they don’t want students only pursuing UFE to possibly get Academic Elite.</p>

<p>It used to be that UFE kids who were NMF really had no chance. However, now that the NMF scholarship has changed, I don’t know if that will still be true.</p>

<p>UFE is HIGHLY competitive. They often get more than 500 apps for less than 40 spots.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses. I was asking about the Presidential Scholarship as I was unaware of the Elite scholarship. The Presidential Scholarship covers tuition for 4 years, correct?</p>

<p>trackguy: Yes four years.</p>

<p>[Out-of-State</a> Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html]Out-of-State”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html)</p>