OOS transfer going into junior year

<p>I am a current sophomore at The University of Akron in Ohio studying Music Education and Vocal Performance (I’m in our Honors College with a 3.8 GPA.) I’m looking for advice from other music majors at Bama regarding scholarship offers, audition advice etc… I’m also wondering about the transfer in general. What type of scholarship money to expect, and advice.</p>

<p>really ANY transfer info would be helpful from parents or students =]</p>

<p>There are few scholarships for transfers. Perhaps if you look at Bama’s vocal performance dept (or contact them), you might find out if they offer any vocal performance scholarships for transfers. </p>

<p>The school has a few small scholarships for CC transfers, but generally transfers from other univs don’t have many scholarship opportunities.</p>

<p>The purpose of scholarships is usually to get the best incoming frosh class and to be able to report their high test scores.</p>

<p>Have you submitted a transfer app?</p>

<p>Have you talked to your parents about how much they’ll pay?</p>

<p>I have submitted a transfer app and will be auditioning in two weeks. I’m hoping to get some money from the vocal department.</p>

<p>School of Music Scholarships</p>

<p>Students who audition for admission will be considered automatically for all available music scholarships. However, admission to the University of Alabama must be granted before a scholarship can be awarded. The School of Music has its own scholarship fund, distributed as follows:</p>

<p>The School of Music makes awards according to performing or creative talent.
Awards can carry any amount up to full tuition.
Awards are restricted to students enrolled as music majors in the School of Music B.M. or B.S. degree programs. Students in the School’s B.A. programs are not eligible for School of Music scholarships.
As per University policy, the amount of a music scholarship may be reduced should a student receive other scholarship awards from The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>Good luck with your audition. Let us know how it goes.</p>

<p>i auditioned this past saturday so I thought i’d give y’all an update! The audition itself went very well, I am a confident performer so I knew this wouldn’t be an issue. I also had the opportunity to speak with Dr. latimer who is in charge of the music ed department. He was very helpful, he sat in on my audition, and afterwards he really opened up about the atmosphere at Bama and he explained what I should expect. He is having a student email me that will be at the same point in her degree that I will be coming in so I can ask more student oriented questions. I was told during the interview portion of my audition that I got in and will get further scholarship information in the weeks to come. I will update on the $$$$ later</p>

<p>Congratulations!! Best of Luck on the scholarships!</p>

<p>Dr. Latimer is a wonderful professor. His vocal classes are amazing. Sometimes the performances are live streamed, maybe you can watch this semester’s performances.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Thank you SO much for updating us! It was very thoughtful of you to do so. It will help future students, I’m sure, having some further info. My S is in the Huxford Orchestra, and I can say that the School of Music was somewhat ‘closed’ when I tried to get info out of them at first (he is a non-major, so that might have something to do with it). [The University Bands section of UA, on the other hand, is very ‘out-there’ with info and their website is uptodate and helpful; less so on the SofM side. The audition process seemed circuitous and he came to UA without truly knowing if he would get a spot. It was a gamble that paid off, thankfully.]</p>

<p>UA is in the process of getting a new Orchestra Director. I am not sure where Demondrae Thurman is going or what the circumstances are. I do know that the SofM sent out a survey to all existing orchestra students asking for their input on who they hire. I thought that was very thoughtful. From the concerts I have heard, this department is a sleeper - in other words, the quality if very good, but it is hid under a bushel for some reason. There are some fantastic musicians and singers at UA. Enjoy!</p>

<p>Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck with the scholarships. My son is an engineering major but is playing in the concert band this semester. Last semester it was marching band He really is enjoying the concert band and they did stream the concert last night. Overall, very good experiences with music from a non-music major. Good luck.</p>

<p>Congrats! :)</p>