OOS

hi i am a freshman academic applicant from NY, and i was wondering how it would be for me as an OOS student. Would the change be easy, like i wouldn’t be an outsider? are there like clubs for OOS students? do student who go there typically go with friends from their high school, or in general having a bunch of friends, so that its hard ti make new friends? thanks so much

This gets asked every year, my kids were both OOS they didn’t have any problems. It is a huge school, and as you soon as you get there you become part of the Aggie family. I’d suggest going to Fish Camp to meet some people first (mine both did that) and learn the traditions (there are many). Students are very welcoming, but do be prepared to answer why you chose A&M… even my graduate gets asked that (still) by Texans! The first week many students tend to cling to their HS peers, but branch out very quickly and some (although from TX) are the only ones from their HS here too if you go to Fish Camp you will have a group to hang out with created at camp. I know in other schools there are clubs based on where you are from, but I haven’t really heard of that here - we know kids from several states, but none of them are in state or regional type clubs. Here they really focus more on being an Aggie first. Clubs are more centered on interests than state lines, but there are 800 of them & you’re always welcome to add more! I will say this, my kids went in without friends and had no problems getting involved, being elected to leadership in their respective clubs, playing on intramural teams,excelling in their majors, being invited along to all kinds of activities and had a fabulous time being an Aggie! Oh hope your parents like maroon too- it’s sort of contagious… Hope that helps!