OpenOffice or MS Office?

<p>Currently, D2 uses OpenOffice on her laptop. The OO apps are set to use and save work as MS Office file extensions seamlessly. Any reason to switch when she goes to UW? I'm wondering if the use of OO would cause problems on collaborative projects if other project teammates use MS Office. Should D2 stick with OO, or buy MS Office discounted at UW's software store? </p>

<p>Interestingly, UW's software store lists OO as an option - at no cost, of course. :)</p>

<p>Since she already has OO, she might as well see if it works for her. If it doesn’t, she can buy MS Office (academic version for around $60) and install it. It doesn’t take that long.</p>

<p>I have been using OO to work on stuff for work at home. We use MS Office at work. No problems so far but I keep things pretty basic.</p>

<p>I’ve never used Open Office, but if you do buy Microsoft Office for your “D2”, I don’t think you should buy it from the university. You can get Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 for $60 (and a hard copy for an extra $13) from Microsoft. It’s called “The Ultimate Steal”. It’s Ultimate, so it comes with One Note, which is just a fine program, and I know many people love it for taking notes.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx[/url]”>http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>There’s the link if you go that route. I did, and I don’t regret it, especially because I couldn’t find any Microsoft Office product cheaper, and I (for some reason) wasn’t too keen on OO. Personally, I think she should be fine with Open Office, but a relatively cheap switch is possible. :)</p>

<p>MS Office Enterprise is available from Wisconsin’s software store for $72 (includes DVD media). If it becomes necessary, why is buying it from Wisconsin a bad idea, Pathetique?</p>

<p>I didn’t say it’s a bad idea. I was just noting it because of price. Noting wrong with buying it from them, I’m just a fan of Microsoft’s deal becuase it’s cheap, and so much so for what you get. Enterprise is fine, and if you can get it for that, I see nothing wrong with it. :slight_smile: I didn’t notice that deal from them before, to be honest.</p>