Opinion on some of these colleges?

<p>Hey guys, so I was finally accepted into a couple of colleges! Specifically, they were: DeSales University, SUNY Plattsburgh, University of Scranton, and Pace University.
I'd like to know more about the schools (social life, campus safety, dorms, food, etc.) Can anyonefill me in on their opinions about these schools and the nursing program at the schools? Thanks!</p>

<p>I know little about DeSales so I can’t comment on it. The other three schools have very good and well respected Nursing Programs and you should be able to obtain a quality Nursing education at any of them if you apply yourself. SUNY-Platt is in the snow belt of Northern NY state so if you like winter sports this would be an attracting factor. Many SUNY schools have a reputation for being more “suitcase” schools where a lot of students leave the campus and go home on weekends. I don’t know if this is the case for Plattsburg. Scranton is a small city, more suburban type school surrounded by a not so ideal area in Scranton. I understand they have done some building recently so this might be a plus factor. Of course PACE is in NYC and therefore has almost unlimited social opportunities. However you will need to take taxi’s and subways to get to many attractions/activities so this can be costly over time. At least my D found this to be the case when she lived on the Upper East Side of Manhatten when she worked for two years as an RN at Cornell Presbyterian Medical Center after graduating with her BSN. Other than this she loved living in NYC. It is a unique type of experience (but after two years she had had enough of it and was ready to start Grad School). If you have not done so already you really need to visit the schools to try and get a sense of what school best meets your interests and where you feel you best “fit in”. Congrats as well for all your acceptances. Trying to decide where to go can be more stressful than just waiting for the acceptances to arrive. Best wishes to you wherever you decide to attend.</p>

<p>My daughter is also considering DeSales, although she is probably going to York College.</p>

<p>DeSales allows students with a high GPA to take two grad classes for grad credit as an undergrad. A few students are allowed to take 3 grad classes. That can save money and time on a master’s degree. The main downside of DeSales is the isolated location. You need a car to do anything, and your nearby off-campus housing choices within a 15 minute drive are very limited. There is no public bus service to the campus, and very little to do on-campus. They are finishing a new building for the health care and business programs.</p>

<p>A few people have provided advice that it is not worth paying a high tuition for a nursing degree, when there are some many moderately priced options. You need to choose a quality nursing program, as opposed to a prestigious college.</p>

<p>Many private colleges offer 50% off of tuition merit scholarships to students with reasonably high GPAs and test scores.</p>

<p>Try to compare facilities, particularly for simulators. The idea is that you mistake your mistakes on the simulators instead of people.</p>

<p>Take a look at where clinicals are located, including how far they are from campus. Many colleges in rural areas and small towns may have a small local hospital, but many students have to travel long distances for clinicals. Typically, the student has to provide their own vehicle or carpool. </p>

<p>U. Scranton does have 3 hospitals within walking distance of the campus - which are now under new ownership and are supposed to see new investment. 2 of those hospitals have now merged. </p>

<p>In addition to comparing tuition, also compare room and board. It can vary greatly from college to college. U. Scranton for example has high fees.</p>

<p>Is the Pace nursing program at the Manhattan campus? Living expenses in NYC are extremely high, even for everyday items. I love to visit NYC regularly, but it can be a very stressful place to live. College is stressful enough without adding in the stress of NYC.</p>