Opinions about honors v regular classes for Premed

<p>I’d like to get some opinions from you guys. My son’s goal is to get to med school. The question concerns honors biology and chemistry classes versus the regular classes. How important is it to take honors instead of regular classes? How do med schools look at this? Or do they even care? Obviously, grades are most important.</p>

<p>I don’t think med schools care at all. they just care that you have the pre-med req’ts and top grades. I don’t think med schools even know what honors classes are even offered. Besides, they would know that a student couldn’t always fit a particular honors class in their schedule. </p>

<p>I would select my bio, chem, ochem, and physics classes based on WHO was teaching…whether the class is honors or non-honors would not be important.</p>

<p>My son is in the med school app process right now. Since he used his AP credits to cover Bio and Chem, his “higher level bio and chem” classes weren’t even offered as honors. He may have taken honors Physics with calc. He may have taken Honors Cal II.</p>

<p>That’s what my son is doing. He is focussing on the teacher more than the class. I thought that was the best way to approach. Just wanted to get more opinions. Thanks you so much, mom2collegekids!</p>

<p>I agree with what mom2 said. </p>

<p>Also current freshman and sophomores should look into the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Program. I 'm pretty sure this was not available when D was a freshman or sophomore. (I know a few CCs did this last year!)</p>

<p>Sounds like a great experience. Also shadowing and clinical experiences. UA has a couple classes that let you shadow and give a overview of the application process.
D is currently taking the shadowing/ and took the application class in the spring.</p>

<p>Also AED provides lots of shadowing opportunities. So join!</p>

<p>Also something my D could have been more proactive on was getting letters of Recommendations. Don’t get me wrong she had them in place early on. But MANY SCHOOLS WANT THEM FROM SCIENCE PROFESSORS! Since she is a Psych major most of LORs are from her department. She should have gotten them from her Chem and Bio professors; but she felt she had better one on one relationships with the TAs or Lab Assistants. Just something to think about!</p>

<p>Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Application is up. </p>

<p>Due Nov. 19,2012.
Spring 2013 there is a class associated with it!</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>omama: fantastic advice! We will check out the HHMI. Thanks.</p>

<p>Also BAMAMom2Be had a child participate in the Bio Train Summer Internship at the Hudson alpha Institute. For some reason I believe it is in Huntsville!</p>

<p>Now is the time for students esp. freshman and sophomores to be looking for summer opportunities. That way you can free up junior/senior summer for mcat prep & applications .</p>

<p>I’m confused about the letters of rec thing… I thought the Alabama Health Professions Office submits a committee letter, rather than you submitting several individual letters to medical schools. I was under the impression that you give the committee up to 3 letters of rec beforehand for background, but the committee is who submits the letter of rec to medical schools. If this is the case, does it matter if those letters are from science professors since they go to the committee?</p>

<p>Joyeux</p>

<p>You are right concerning the committee letter. D did turn in her rec(s) to the committee which then wrote a committee letter / that goes in a packet with her other recs ( I believe).</p>

<p>The concern lies in schools that put heavy emphasis on the science recs…will hers hold? Time will tell. I feel her recs will be strong. </p>

<p>I just saying if you are a freshman or sophomore pre med student. Put some effort in getting to know your science professor, so you can ask for a strong recommendation.</p>

<p>D had most of her premed requirements done by end of sophomore year. You start asking for recommendation Spring of your junior year.</p>

<p>Yes, Hudson Alpha is in Huntsville.</p>

<p>LORs…</p>

<p>Applicants may submit a maximum of five letters. Typically, we recommend three (3) letters from faculty recommenders and two (2) letters from personal recommenders. Two letters from science faculty are strongly encouraged.</p>

<p>After we have received all of your letters of recommendation and your pre-application, please contact our office to schedule your committee interview, which will be used to generate your composite letter of evaluation.
*</p>

<p>Keep in mind that students will likely be collecting LORs for REUs, scholarships, internship opps, and other things throughout their college years. So, keep those Recommenders in mind when needing LORs for med school.</p>