Opinions on Mathematics - Computer Science Major

Hi All…so as May 1st is just a few days away, my son is getting ready to accept his offer at UCSD. His only hesitation is that he was not accepted into the Capped Computer Science major, but rather was accepted as a Mathematics - Computer Science major. It is my understanding that it is impossible to switch into the CS major. So I guess I’m looking for opinions on the Math-CS major? His other choices are schools that he really isn’t excited about. We are from the Northeast and my son is excited about being in CA. Also, FWIW, his interests are in coding, art and design, & app creation and development. Finally, he is also interested in business and entrepreneurship. Thanks for any feedback!!! From a Mom who is ready to be done with this college process!!

Has he looked at the curriculum in his major to see if it’s a match?

Personally, I wouldn’t attend any school, no matter how much I liked it, if I could not study what I wanted…especially if I’m full pay.

Here’s the thing about schools - it’s not like he can just be happy at one. So when you say he’s not excited about others - once he got there, he certainly could be with the right attitude.

In the end, up in to you and him - but unless I was studying what I wanted to study, I would not go to UCSD - especially if I had other options to study what I wanted to.

Also, UCSD doesn’t have an undergrad B school - but they do have a minor in entrepreneurship…as will many schools.

Best of luck.

1 Like

How much does he like math?

Here is the math - CS major at UCSD: https://math.ucsd.edu/sites/math.ucsd.edu/files/img/undergrad-handbook/22-23-MA30.png

Upper division courses include:

• 6 math courses (4 specified, 2 elective)
  • 1 probability theory course
  • 5 CS courses (3 specified, 2 elective) (the 3 specified CS courses include 2 theory courses that are like math)
  • 2 additional math or CS electives

It also says that “Students wishing to add CSE courses are subject to enrollment restrictions. Refer to the CSE department web site for further information.” Enrolling in CSE Courses | Computer Science appears to be the relevant page.

It will be a more theoretical version of CS, and not close to art/design and app development. But it does not mean he cannot apply the skills he learns to app development.

There will be upper division math courses that he will have to take like below. If he has an interest in math as well, then it is a good option.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. My biggest challenge as his Mom has been encouraging him to keep an open mind…which is very tough with him unfortunately.

Thanks for this! He does like Math and, in fact, has been extremely frustrated by his high school’s policy which prevented him from taking upper level math courses that he wanted to take. (He taught himself Calculus last year and got a 5 on the AP BC exam last spring!) I will look at the CSE restrictions more closely. I’m also curious how this major would play out in terms of getting into a top grad school program.

Grad school is a long way off…and there’s likely a path from anywhere, depending on the subject desired, regardless of the level of “prestige” the undergrad school has.

There was recently a post about getting a PHD from NC State undergrad vs going to Duke or UNC instead.

I found a PHD at Michigan that went to a regional Wisconsin public. And lots from solid, not spectacular names.

So some will say undergrad matters - but I’m not sure that’s 100% the case.

Thank you! He does have an interest in Math. The other option I looked at to go over with him is the ICAM program…computing and the arts.

What kind of graduate school?

This major may be most focused on theoretical CS and the adjacent math subareas (combinatorics, algebra, number theory, etc.). If he want to go on to PhD study in theoretical CS, this major may be good preparation. For PhD study in other areas of CS, he would want to supplement with additional CS courses in those areas, and for PhD study in math, he would want to supplement with additional math courses typically suggested for pure math majors (e.g. real analysis, geometry / topology, logic, etc.).

“Open mind” about what?

An open mind about the schools where he was accepted but that he is not excited about. (This was a response to tsbna44.)

For PhD program admissions, it varies. However, many math PhD programs do appear to have a preference ranking of undergraduate math departments, though such preference rankings are not really captured in typical college prestige rankings that high school students often look at when choosing colleges.

If he would prefer a major in CS, do these other schools offer direct admission to CS or easy entry to CS?

I think this - those likely to pursue a PhD were likely to attend the high prestige school to begin with because they were likely superior academically to begin with.

But that’s different than the schools are only picking from prestigious schools - and they’re not.

This will be a theoretical CS major with lots of related Math. It will not give a lot of coding experience. Whether someone likes it depends on their interests. The Math here is very different from the Calculus path in HS.

The big issue is the capacity of other CS classes. If he’s unable to take any of the more practical CS classes, will he be ok with that?

Yes, and in my opinion would probably be a better option for him in terms of CS. However, I do think he could find a fulfilling path at UCSD based on what I have looked at online. We will be sitting down tomorrow to really talk about his options and available programs.

That’s a good point…and my concern at a large school like UCSD…will it be hard to get classes?

It can be hard to get computer science classes at UCSD and many other colleges where the computer science department is at its maximum instructional capacity (which is why such colleges limit entry to the computer science major and limit enrollment of non-majors into computer science courses).

See Enrolling in CSE Courses | Computer Science for UCSD specific matters on enrolling in computer science courses.

1 Like

IMO, college is first and foremost about the academics. It doesn’t sound like this major really aligns with your student’s interest. Does he have any acceptances at schools where he’s been accepted for CS?

1 Like

Has he looked at the CogSci major? It attracts a lot of students who want to combine CS and Design - could definitely be a fit for him, and he could switch from Math-CS to CogSci unless something has changed very recently that I don’t know about. B.S. Spec. Design and Interaction UCSD has one of the most robust CogSci departments in the nation; they do tons of research that might interest your son. Lots of CogSci grads go into CS careers. If he’s not passionate about higher math but liking UCSD, CogSci might be a great fit.

1 Like

Interesting…I don’t think he has looked into. Thank you for the recommendation!

1 Like