Opinions please!

<p>What does everyone think about putting scholarship info in local paper once child makes up their mind where they want to go? For example, if D received a "jon brown scholarship" in the amount of say 1/2 tuition for four years worth $80,000 would it be okay to put ad in paper something like:
"John Doe receives Jon Brown Scholarship to Tip University" or "John Doe to attend Tip University on Jon Brown Scholarship"? Then put details like..activities, etc? I see a lot a announcements about kids going to particular schools but haven't really noticed if they put in the scholarship info.
I really want to put this info in for a couple reasons: first and foremost because child worked so hard to get the scholarship and secondly to try and get through to some people how important academics are.. perhaps if some of the parents in this school district see it they might start to realize that sports are not priority one. Both of my kids are active in sports. Senior D lettered in soccer and track all four years in high school, younger D is really active in basketball and barrel racing.. but we have always made their education top priority. The school district goes WAY overboard on sports (you may have seen my prior post on this) and the money all goes to sports programs and not academic programs. This really bothers me. I noted that both my kids are active in sports because I don't want anyone to think I am anti-sports or anything like that because I definitely am not. Just can't stand seeing what parents behave like when it comes to their kids and sports and how they make their kids CRAZY pressuring them about being superstars. It has gotten worse every year at our district. Parents become completely obsessed about it. I see kids crying at almost every game - because their parents are screaming at them and telling them they 'suck', etc.. it is really horrible to watch. Isn't their some way to get through to these people?? Sorry to go on so long but in the past few years this has really gotten under my skin. The saddest part is most of these parents are really nice people. They just become completely different when they are at sporting events. I see someone I have known for years turn into a maniac at a soccer game! I truly believe it is a BIG problem and will only get worse... I would like to hear your thoughts if you don't mind taking a minute or two. Thanks!</p>

<p>I have seen such notices in our local papers. I would just suggest you say something more like a scholarship worth 3/4 of the tuition - I just wouldn't put in exact numbers - just a privacy thing - no one's business, really. Anyone who wants to know can easily figure it out or ask GC about tuition at Tip school. </p>

<p>Sounds like a big deal for your school - an academic scholarship. Why not see if they'll do an article which can quote D saying something very tactful but on target about academics and sports.... to try to really get your point across. :)</p>

<p>Sorry everyone I posted this on the wrong site. Reposted appropriately. wish<em>for</em>april_: always good advice. thank you. Academic scholarships are a big deal (in that few of the students get them) however, with regard to anybody really caring.. a whole different story I am sorry to say. They would rather see someone signing a letter of intent.. to play football.. now there is something that would make the local news! And the local grapevine as well. Everyone in town would know within 10 minutes of the offer.. photo session at the school, etc.</p>