Optional comment section after supplement essays

Can I include a third essay in that section about an experience not mentioned anywhere in the application? It’s a very unique experience but it didn’t fit with the “experience that makes you proud” essay.

instruction says:
After you complete the two prompts, you will see a third section called “Additional Comments.” This is an optional section and should not be used as a continuation of your personal statement. Instead, you should use this section to:

1. Provide additional clarification on important details in your application, such as honors, awards, activities.
  2. Share information regarding a nontraditional school environment or unusual circumstances. ***3. Describe anything else that you HAVE NOT had the opportunity to include elsewhere in your application.

So can I put in an essay? It’s not a continuation of the previous 2 essays and fits #3

I personally would not. I think of item #3 as a spot where you might describe a parent medical issue that affected your ability to continue an EC you dropped, for example. Even then it isn’t for an essay, just a few concise sentences. It isn’t meant for extra essays. They have thousands of apps to review; if they wanted more essays, they would have asked for them.

@intparent my initial thought as well.
I looked into other threads and they said it wouldn’t hurt to add in an essay if the event marked a huge turning point in your life. Still torn between whether or not to submit a third. Would you still suggest leaving it out?
The most extreme thing that may happen is them not reading the third, right? Would it affect admissions?

I think you can hurt yourself. If it is that critical and revealing about yourself, figure out a way to maneuver it into one of the common app prompts instead (almost anything can be). But don’t thicken your file with stuff they didn’t ask for. I’m not really sure why you came for advice if you aren’t going to follow it…

@intparent It is actually a common app prompt essay. No, I totally understand what you’re saying–thanks for the advice. I guess I’ll leave the third out since it seems unasked for. Thanks again for the insight.