Ordering books and move in

My son has his schedule and move in date for August 28 for the university of Wisconsin Madison! Where does he order books for his classes? Do you think he will need a printer?

No to the printer- see the Res Halls website about this.

Books- current students are not posting currently it seems (still enjoying the summer break I suspect).

A starting point would be the University Bookstore website- they will have required and recommended materials listed by course number. Very important for your son (remember that this is his show) to know his exact section, books can vary from one to another. Once he has details, such as ISBN numbers, he can figure out where he wants to purchase his books. Be careful about delivery dates so nothing arrives at home after he leaves. He might want to just wait until he is on campus. Current students can give advice. Used books are often the best option as well. Remember- all are private enterprises and not run by the university.

You sound like a typical mom, trying to help her son. I understand- been there, done that. Time to let him figure most things out for himself. He’ll do fine, even if not by our standards. I do remember going to the stores by myself and 90 some percent of the time seeing only mother/daughter combinations shopping for college stuff. So- I got the stuff, asked him for approval returned unwanted stuff, paying attention to sales. It is important that he participate in the packing and definitely do his own unpacking, choosing where to put stuff. Otherwise he’ll discover stuff he never knew he had when moving out in the spring. It is useful to have some things he may never use such as a small (remember limited space) first aid/illness kit with band aids, antibiotic, Tylenol, a thermometer and other such stuff a sick person doesn’t want to venture out for. Most stuff can be bought when/if needed on/near campus.

If they still have this I recommend getting a copy of the annual Isthmus guide for yourself- free in area stores in the past. Valuable for the restaurant guide if you ever visit. Also a nice overview of the area.

As a current student, I usually order my books from Amazon. The bookstore charges more for a used book than Amazon charges for a new one. As a freshmen and sophomore in the dorms, I had my own printer. I found it nice to not have to leave my room to print my essays or homework assignments. Ink was a little pricey though as the bookstore and Walgreens on campus is pretty pricey. Hope that helps!

Thanks! Very helpful!

Thanks so much for the info